Review: Goth Girl and the Ghost of a Mouse

Goth Girl and the Ghost of a Mouse Goth Girl and the Ghost of a Mouse by Chris Riddell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I had often been recommended by friends to read Chris Riddell's Goth Girl series of books, and decided that I would make the attempt lately having been to the bookstore and managed to pick up all three books. Logically, I started with the first.

These books are kind of little slips of genius.

On one layer they're sort of a parody of different types of stories for children. On another layer, it's a wonderful dip into a Regency-esque world that happens to have the fantasic run right alongside the mundane. On yet another layer, it's just a way for Chris Riddell to show off his great illustrations. Ada Goth is a very likeable protagonist, filled with the usual cliché of being motherless you would expect a Gothic heroine to have. Ada does not brood over this, and instead does her best to be a nice, polite, girl. Because she wants to be.

I'm finding myself at a bit of a loss for works as to how to explain this. Lord Goth is clearly Lord Byron, but I wouldn't say Ada is much like the famous Ada Lovelace. Then again, Ada was very sensible in comparison with her father's madness.

If I had to put it plainly, I think I'd say that yes, these books are worth picking up no matter what your age. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series, now.

View all my reviews

Comments