Review: Kingsman: The Golden Circle: The Official Movie Novelization

Kingsman: The Golden Circle: The Official Movie Novelization Kingsman: The Golden Circle: The Official Movie Novelization by Tim Waggoner
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed Kingsman: the Secret Service. As in the film, not the comic. I've never actually read the comic that the film is based on. I'm not sure whether that's good or not but as it's own entity, I really enjoyed the film. It paid homage to the classic spy movies, while at the same time building its own identity, with good action and humor. Obviously, when I heard about the sequel, I knew I was going to go and see it. Finding out there was a novelization of it? Yeah, that was a must read.

As with many novelizations of movies, this helps to fill in a little more detail which can make some plot points more understandable, and help to really expand upon character motivations. From what I've heard, there was roughly 80 minutes cut from the final product, and reading the novelization helps to give a rough idea of what they would be.

While I did enjoy this book, I have to say that as a novelization it doesn't stand too well on it's own. It does read as something that would be a lot more fun to watch, and some of the pacing feels odd in places. It is a quick read though, and quite fun, so value for money in that sense. I enjoyed the move, thought the book was decent, but overall I wasn't overwhelmed.

It was fun though. That's what you want from fiction with spies. A bit of fun.

View all my reviews

Comments