[Meme] Bookish Questions

Wilde: Would you rather relax by reading a new book or by rereading a well-loved book? Hm, either fits really, because it's very dependent on the mood that I'm in. On low days, I prefer to re-read for the comfort of familiar characters and settings, and on other days I want to read all the new things. Because that's how it goes, really. I do probably re-read a bit more than my tbr pile allows for.

Fitzgerald: Reading with a cup of tea or mug of hot chocolate? Cup of tea. Can't be beat.

Adams: Fiction or non-fiction? Nine times out of ten, it will be fiction. On that rare occasion, it'll be non-fiction, but often presented in a humorous format.

Cabot: Do you read in the bath? No, but that's mostly because I take showers...

Lee: Favorite book? Oh gosh, where to start? Okay, let's do this alphabetical by author, but only show book titles: Pride and Prejudice, Peter Pan, Dodger, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Artemis Fowl, Matilda, Oliver Twist, Good Omens, Les Misérables, Ash, Anne of Green Gables, Kamikaze Girls, Bound, Zeus Grants Stupid Wishes, Hogfather, Monstrous Regiment, Night Watch, Thud!, Wintersmith, Percy Jackson, Carry On, Harry Potter, Battle Royal, Howl's Moving Castle. AND THIS IS AN ABRIDGED LIST.

Rowling: Favorite message from a book? The one that comes to mind right away is a sort of message from Good Omens that being human is a pretty awesome thing. Yes, we're capable of a lot of bad but also a lot of good and really that potential for both makes us kind of amazing... Also just pick up any Discworld book. Pratchett was really good at getting his messages across in an entertaining way.

Tolkien: Stand alone novels or a series? Both. Sometimes I'm in the mood to read all a series, and other times I just want to read a one-shot. It feels like there's not as many one-shots as there were though, which is odd.

Kidd: Do you 'dog ear' pages? When I was younger, I did used to do this. I've long grown out of the habit of it though. It was just that I could never find a bookmark when I needed one. I've got a pile of them now sitting on one of my bookcases.

Zusak: stories set in the past or the future? Any-time really. I do not discriminate.

Austen: 3 favorite characters? ... Oh bugger, this one is hard. Mildred Hubble was one of my first book faves so we'll say her. Luna Lovegood is another one that just makes me smile whenever I read her stuff, so we'll add her too... and Sam Vimes. Because you cannot go wrong with someone who believes in the Law as solidly as he does, and believes that it stands for the protection of the innocent.

Shelley: 3 characters you dislike? Bill Sikes, Delores Umbridge and... okay I know there is a third, but no name is genuinely coming to mind. Maybe The New Firm from Neverwhere, but I like them at the same time? Ugh, this is harder than I'd thought.

Dickens: a book you didn't enjoy? The Twilight series. At the time of it's popularity, someone I knew tried to get me reading it by saying it's vampire fiction, you'll love it! Yeah, I did not. I found a lot of the messages in the book to be problematic at best and dangerous at worst. Also I had some bad experiences with over-enthused fans which left a sour taste. Of course, you can add 50 Shades to that. Oh, The Great Gatsby as well, but I'm not sure if that was a dislike of the story or if the situation in which I had to read it left it's imprint on the story.

Shakespeare: A book that made you laugh? Discworld wins this one, but also the Blart books by Dominic Barker. It's a shame that not many people seem to know these books, because they're fun little satires. Also my St. Trinian's comic strip collections. Oh, and the Addams Family. They would count here, right?

Dahl: A book you read because you saw the movie? Percy Jackson was one, but to be fair I was in uni and not exactly keeping up with books at the time. I immediately went to the bookstore after the cinema - it was a day I had like a six hour gap between classes - and picked up the first in the series and ... yeah, so much better. 101 Dalmatians as well, but that's more I didn't know that was a book at first. I was a little kid. There's not really been that many, to be honest. More when I was a kid than now.

Carroll: A book that made you cry? The Book Thief. Oh gods, I cried so much reading that book. It's beautiful but so emotionally draining.

Comments