Review: Tangleweed and Brine

Tangleweed and Brine Tangleweed and Brine by Deirdre Sullivan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Tangleweed and Brine is an anthology of fairy-tales that have been re-written to give their heroines more of an active role, for want of a better phrase. 13 stories in all, and each from a point of view of one of the heroines of the tales.

Deirdre Sullivan has a very interesting style in these stories, often from the first or second point of view, and always with this poetic, mystical feel to their narrative. There are recurring themes of sexuality, trust, age, betrayal, and magic which are true to the original tales, but spun in such different ways that it can make the stories feel altogether very new. While each story itself is a short read, they have this way of lingering with you after reading them, the illustrations capturing the imagery in the words well and said imagery still playing out the story for you.

As beautiful as all the stories are, I don't actually think I could chose a single favourite among them. I really want to re-read this one, actually, but I'll give it time. I think this is one of those ones that should be read sparingly, so as best to savour it. I do recommend picking it up if you've ever wanted to read a thing where the heroines didn't have to be married off for their stories to end well.

Also can Sullivan do another collection like this, please?

View all my reviews

Comments