Review: Snow White, Blood Red

Snow White, Blood Red Snow White, Blood Red by Ellen Datlow
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Snow White, Blood Red was one of those names that always came up when I mentioned wanting to read fairy tales that were a bit different to the traditional collections. I can certainly see why - the editors have done a great job of gathering together a good mix of different takes on classic tales. Understandably - with the title - Snow White and Little Red Riding Hood tended to have more of a focus in this book than some others.

As I've said, it's an interesting mix of tales, ranging from quite dark in tone to a lighter comedic stylr. Many have a fantastical take to them, and many just try to relay the stories under modern trappings. None of this is bad, and the mix keeps for compelling reading. Of course, as always with an anthology, there are those you prefer over others and it was the same here. That's not to say those I didn't like as much were bad tales. I just... wasn't as into them.

Still, this is only the first book in the collection. It'll be fun to try to read the others.

View all my reviews

Comments