Review: Olivia Twist

Olivia Twist Olivia Twist by Lorie Langdon
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I am quite a fan of the original Oliver Twist, having first been introduced to it through the musical. I enjoy the book by Dickens quite a bit and the Artful Dodger tends to be among one of my most favourite characters in all of literature. Needless to say, I was pretty intrigued by the idea of Oliver as a girl, how that would have changed things for her, and how events could have proceeded with this small but significant change.

That being said, Langdon's novel is set a good few years after the events of the original. Olivia is now 18, and making her way into society. She has lead quite a nice life thanks to her Uncle Brownlow, and is considered a proper lady, even if she does have a fun unusual habits. Her Uncle is of frail health and a looming marriage proposal makes her aware that she is coming to the end of her relative freedom - a freedom which allows her to sneak off and spend nights as Ollie, caretaker of a few orphan lads. She knows she doesn't fit in either world, but tries to make herself fit better in society.

All of which seems to go out the window when a now grown up Artful Dodger makes an appearance at one of the balls she is at. Going by Jack MacCarron, it seems as though he too has found a place in society, but Olivia feels as though something isn't right. Determined to find out what, it isn't long until the two are embroiled in another plot on the darker side of London streets.

Honestly, Olivia is such an entertaining lead. Her chaffing against what is expected of her yet still longing for the quiet, respectable, and reliable life that it gives her is perfectly understandable knowing that she grew up in the workhouses and then spent time on the street. Yet it's this background that makes her feel too critical of this life, and even guilty at finding comfort in it. It made an interesting contrast with Jack who was trying so hard to fit in and escape what had been his life for reasons of his own, and yet his 'Aunt' was continually pushing him back to it by having him use his artfulness to help replenish her own lost fortune. The dynamic between them - and other characters in the book - was very fun to read.

My main quibble is that, well, everything felt a bit rushed. I'm not sure if it's because I found it a quick read, but it did feel like Olivia and Jack had only just re-meet when suddenly they were desperately in love with each other. (Though I suppose I should mention that Olivia seems to question it herself, and wonders if it is because of how she had seen Jack as her hero back when they were children.) The plot that they become embroiled in also suffers a bit from this fast pace; it seems to be resolved in only a matter of pages compared to the good build up it had been given. Seriously, I had to stop and double check I hadn't skipped anything because it was just over so quickly.

That all being said? I did like this book. Olivia endeared herself to me quickly, and I will always have a soft spot for my Artful Dodger. I would recommend it to people who like the musical more than the original novel, though, as it does seem to fit a little better with that telling of events than with the original, even if Monks does make an appearance.

View all my reviews

Comments