Review: Loki: The God Who Fell to Earth

Loki: The God Who Fell to Earth Loki: The God Who Fell to Earth by Daniel Kibblesmith
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was really excited for this comic, but once again we had another Loki series that got cancelled before it could become something brilliant. I have to think that it's a slight against the fact that most good Loki stories contain a meta-commentary on how the character has never been allowed to grow properly, and always forced back into whatever role people need him to play.

That's entirely what the collected volume (Loki: The God Who Fell to Earth) is about. Loki, trying to assign himself a new story when it seems as though his has been written for him. Well, he never has been one to just sit back and accept what others demand. Daniel Kiddlesmith can have the honor (such as it is) of being added to the list of writers who understand how to write a good Loki story, riffing on the idea of the stories told of heroes in general. The art work - by Oscar Bazaldua and Andy MacDonald - is pretty good, with really interesting designs for new characters and a great use of colour.

Honestly, the reason I rated it as I did is not because of anything against the story. No, it's because it's once again the start of a story that I don't know if we'll ever see the end of. A great read for Loki fans though, and I really hope they might go back to it at some point.

View all my reviews

Comments