On the Art of the Doll Canon

Okay, so first of all I should explain. Doll-canon is... pretty much those little things you keep in mind for whatever reason. While most times I see this to be more connected with collectors of BJDs, I think it's something that all doll collectors have in common - we like to have stories about the dolls in our collection. As such, I thought that, for today at least, it might be a little fun to share some of my doll canons. All of these pictures can also be found at my flickr, and since not all flickr picture will end up here, I suggest going and having a look there. Okay, let's begin! 

Okay, so this one is obvious. Evie from Disney's Descendants, and Raven from Mattel's Ever After High. Both are daughters of the Evil Queen. For my doll-canon, I decided to run with it. Raven is the eldest child, who was allowed to stay with their father following their mother's exile to the Isle. Which happened while she was pregnant with Evie. As such, things can sometimes be a little strained between the sisters, each having experience something the other didn't, but ultimately these two are very fond of each other and if you mess with one, you mess with both. Evie tends to have the more exciting stories to tell; growing up surrounded by villains will to that to a girl. 

Here we have the only set of custom dolls in this particular list - Edith and Thomas Sharpe, originally from Crimson Peak. Edith was made from the Disney Store's Alice Through the Looking Glass Film Collection Alice doll's head, combined with a Made-to-Move Barbie body. She's currently wearing the Jakks' Alice doll's blue dress, because honestly I really like it on it. Thomas has a Hot Toys buck, I believe, and a Tom Hiddleston head-sculpt from the first Thor movie. They survived the events of the movie thanks to Alan having told the people at the post office to come as quickly as they could behind him, meaning that there were people there to help rescue. They have moved away from Crimson Peak, but the nightmares still haunt the pair. In this picture, Edith is trying to remind her husband that it is behind them now, and they have the future to look forward to. 

Some more Descendants! This time we have CJ, daughter of Captain Hook, and Audrey, daughter of Sleeping Beauty. Now, across the various media - book, Wicked World, and upcoming sequel - Captain Hook has no less than three children. In my doll-canon? They're siblings. CJ is trying to make a name for herself among her sibings and it can be proving a little hard. Then, after managing to escape the Isle, she meets with the beautiful Princess Audrey. To say she's enchanted would be putting it very lightly indeed. Turns out? Sometimes Princesses can be very flustered by pirates...

Last one! Here we have two Wonder Woman from different parts of the multi-verse, both sharing in the same cause. Not so much in the doll-canon. There? Here we have Diana, Princess of the Amazons and her younger sister, Drusilla. Diana is on the left, Drusilla the right. They find it hilarious that the younger is the taller. And for anyone wondering, yes, Drusilla's name does come from the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman tv series. I felt it would be a cool little nod, considering how Drusilla is happy to become Wonder Girl there - of course she'd be happy to go off to a school to learn to train to be a hero so she can join her sister on her mission!

And that's the end of the doll-canon entry. For now. I may write a little more at another date. I hope I managed to entertain someone out there. As always, I am slowly improving on my photography skills, and I hope that you find my flickr helpful for seeing these! 

Comments