Cherry Poppins by RaevynDesigns

Okay, this is technically the first of any birthday related posts. Yes, I know, almost two weeks later. Sorry, I did mean to jump it up the queue a bit, but I'm kind of liking my at least one review a week thing that I've got going on, y'know? Right, so what we are looking at today came from RaevynDesigns on Etsy. They sell OOAK (one of a kind) dolls which will never have repeats. I came across this particular doll... gosh, I can't really remember when it was. But I remember seeing her and thinking "she's beautiful". This year, for my birthday, the parents kindly bought her for me.


So this was the box it came in. In case you're wondering, the reason that the outer boxes are always open in reviews - if I show them - tends to be that the first instinct is when I received something I've been waiting on in the mail to open it up and make sure it's okay. Now, since this was a gift, I didn't do the opening when it arrived in the mail, but the Mum has the same instinct as I do. I think I inherited it from her. Anyway, simple plain brown box. Sturdy.


The note from RaevynDesigns that tells you a little about how to care for the doll. The logo of the company is really quite simple, and I find myself surprisingly fond of it. The information provided is very clear to read and also to understand. It's very helpful of them to include this information, so well done to them!


They also included this lovely handmade card in the parcel. It's simple, but it was a lovely little touch. Made me grin to see.


And yes, that's the maker's signature, I believe.


Look! They packaged in a flower with it. I am not quite sure what type of flower it is. The Mum thinks a still to bloom rose, the Dad thinks its a tulip. I thought it was sweet and am sure to figure out what I can do with it at some point or other. It'll probably come in use for some cosplay at some point.


The doll came wrapped well, with bubble wrap and tissue paper to protect it as it was travelling from their destination to my home. No tape to hold it all together, but it wasn't needed really. A simple unrolling later and...


...Cherry Poppins was out to view! From my first glance I was smitten. She was just as gorgeous as she looked in her pictures, maybe even more so now that I had her in my hands. Okay, so maybe I was a bit over-excited.


And here she is standing up. Well, leaning against the box because as we discussed in an earlier post, BeGoths - which is what Cherry is a custom from - do not stand up well on their own due to their ... top heaviness. I'm not actually sure offhand which BeGoth Cherry was originally made from. RaevynDesigns noted on Cherry's sale page that she was a rescue find.


I like this face paint. It's very simple, and yet it's very effective. I especially like the litle cherries on the side of her face. Her eyes are very expressive, and such a nice shade of green. The red eye-shadow works but this is one of those things that I'm commenting on without really knowing a damn thing about anything, if I'm being honest.


Her hat is this little net thing, which is quite adorable to look at. It is pinned very carefully to her head, and I have no desire to remove it. It looks nice. There's delicate little pink flowers in the white netting, which are a nice little touch. Yeah, I'm using the word little a lot. Sorry about that.


There's this lacey puff thing at the top of the bodice of the dress, and a red under-bust corset. Yes, that's what that is. And yes, since this is based on the Mary Poppins Jolly Holiday outfit (or possibly is that one from the Mattel Mary Poppins dolls that was released a few years back) I have probably spoiled your childhood. Apologies.


The skirt of the dress is white like the rest of the dress, with small red bows decorating the whole of it. Also other flowers embroidered on. Nothing really all that special, but it with the Edwardian aesthetic that the movie had. The books were actually set in the 30s, which was the reign of George V, Edward VIII, and George VI, and had a totally different look to it, but I can understand the film wanting to use a more ... distinctive look. Plus, it did fit in with the idea of the loosing attitudes on societal norms. Not to a huge extent as the movies would make you think, but to an extent. (Course, then you remember what's [historically] to come...) There are underskirts included but due to respect for Cherry, I will not include them. There are two. One is satin-y, and the other is netting.


Cherry comes with a simple pink parasol, which doesn't open. It has the parrot's head that all of Mary Poppins' umbrellas have though so far this one hasn't shown any ability to talk. It's one of those things that if it was with a child's toy, I would worry about it getting lost. Actually I still do; things have a tendency to go missing in my room. It's nice, but nothing too special. And I should say that while I am saying that about small components of the doll, the overall doll is fantastic, and I love her to pieces.


She wears shoes of the sensible kind! Apart from those heels. And okay, yeah, that only really makes sense if you've heard the music of the stage musical. Which I do not recommend for under 7s. Even if they have toned down on one of the scenes, it's still got some moments that are a bit 'woah, what the hell'. In a good way, though. Again, some paint applications on these shoes would have brought them out a little more. And yes, I know that's something I could easily do myself... except, no it's really not. I am terrible at the whole paint thing.


Instead of Velcro, the dress closes with snap closures. Which is brilliant - I'd worry too much about Velcro snagging on this lovely outfit. Because it really does tend to snag on doll outfits, and I'm not lying, it really does sort of get on the nerves a bit. Also, sorry for having my hand in my picture, but this was the easiest way to show the snap closures.


And that's Cherry Poppins. So what do I think of her? Well, like I already said, I love her. I was intrigued by the decision to make her into a Mary Poppins... expy, in a sense, but then I came to the conclusion that it was probably inspired, somewhat, by Ever After High. And that being the case, I did come up with some dolly canon that was inspired by the info card that RaevynDesigns gave as a replacement for the card you would usually get with BeGoth.

Cherry is one of the Poppins' family, and she is the Next Great Exception. She has chosen to follow in Mary's footsteps, and become a Nanny, and a Protector of Children - in that way that only Mary Poppins can manage. She is still learning how to be practically perfect, and studies everything and anything.

So that was birthday post 1. What's next? Just wait and see!

Comments