Doctor Who Series 8, Episode 1: Deep Breath

I'm not going to spend a long time on this, but I thought I'd give a very quick review of what I thought of the new episode of the new series - with a brand new Doctor. There may be spoilers below, so don't worry, I will put in a read more cut. Only continue if you don't mind spoilers - however vaguely I may write them


Okay, so let's just bullet point this to get my thoughts done quickly, and out of the road. And yes, I may end up doing this for each episode. We'll see


  • The new title sequence is FANTASTIC. I believe this was actually fan-made, so extreme kudos to the fan who made them
  • Capaldi is clearly having the time of his life playing this character who has been with him pretty much all of his life. His Doctor hasn't been clearly set out to us yet, but that's okay, because the Doctor himself doesn't seem sure of who he is 
  • CLARA! Clara got to show the well rounded aspects to her that we all knew she had, but kept frowning at the screen because they weren't showing it. Her nightmare being her losing control is such a telling thing about her character, and I loved its inclusion
  • I ... don't really know what to think about having Vastra basically objectify Jenny because... well, basically she wanted to look t her pretty wife but it's not really in her to outright ask for that. It was a cute moment between the two, true, but I wonder if it could have been done another way
  • I'm probably one of the few who was okay with seeing those two bicker as well. Psychologically speaking, it actually does show a healthy relationship - being that they can bicker with each other and it doesn't affect the fact that they love each other, and are happy together
  • ALSO VASTRA/JENNY KISS, even if it was just the sharing of oxygen, but THEY KISSED. MY OTP, IT IS CUTE
  • Deliberate re-using of a 10th Doctor villain, and calling back to the fact that the Doctor has seen his new face before. This is going to be an interesting thing if it continues
  • First thoughts on Missy - Mary Poppins. Second thoughts on Missy - the Master. Third thoughts on Missy - Michelle Gomez, what is it with you playing slightly crazy characters? 
  • All in all, it was a good ep. Yeah, there was some stuff that made me look at the screen a bit, but overall, it was enjoyable. 
  • Also, from a discussion with a friend, are there any female showrunners at the BBC or any British television channel that could potentially be in a position to take over from Moffat? (To make it clear: we don't mind Moffat, but we're not going to be sobbing our eyes out when he leaves)

Comments