Matilda: the Musical

Matilda Wormwood the Obitsu posing with a flyer for Matilda the Musical
So, while I was down in London in July, I was able to go and see a show that I have been desperate to see ... pretty much since I first heard about it. Matilda: the Musical. So it's been three weeks since I saw it and really, I should have written this up far sooner but I can be lazy and I kept forgetting and there's a whole host of reasons that I'm not going to get into here. So, sorry it's late, but here, have a review!

It's freaking awesome and you all should really go and see it.

Oh, you need more? Okay, well... I guess we start with the story. Matilda is about a little girl named Matilda. She's brilliant, extraordinarily so, but her family don't recognise this nor do they care about her, Still, she manages to get by each and every day through her love of stories. Then she starts school and meets the horrible, bullying Miss Trunchbull and it seems like just standing up for herself isn't going to be enough anymore. And I am assuming you'ever either read the book or seen the movie that came out in the 90s, really the only difference is that this Matilda has more of a foucs on a love of stories. Because that translated well to the stage.

Actually, the whole thing translates really well for the stage. Seriously, getting Tim Minchin to write the music was a stroke of genius. His wordplay works so well for a story which is praising the idea of intelligence, of reading and of learning. The kids are shown to be good people because they're still young enough to dream and learn, The only people shown in a negative light are the adults who are so sure they've got the whole world worked out.

Because there are exceptions to everything out there in the world, and we just need to believe to see it.

Comments