Emily the Strange Bendy Action Figure by Toynami

So... on 23rd August, I was at Collectormania Glasgow! It was a fun convention. This little post here is basically my convention swag. Yeah, I don't really go spending crazy at conventions anymore. I don't really have a reason for it beyond I happen to have more fun spending time hanging out with the friends that I meet at the conventions. This post is being written 25th August, btw, as are a few others that will be in the queue. Again; I queue because I care. Emily the Strange is one of those characters that I just can't help but like, and since there is no chance of me getting the 12 inch doll... Well, let's have a look at this awesome figure instead!


Okay, so here we have the Emily logo on the box. The box design itself is actually really simple, with not many pictures, just a few bits of text here and there. It's this kind of minimalist approach that made me look at it, believe it or not. I don't think I would have noticed it if it had been as flashy as every other box at the stall.


The blurb fits in with the idea Cosmic Debris seem to have regarding Emily; she's a loner who seem to frighten other people. I personally think she should go meet Wednesday Addams, but that's just my thinking. I believe the newer comics - Emily and the Strangers (I want it) - actually give Emily friends, who are just as strange as she is. There were also novels that fleshed out the character of Emily. I have the first of these, and I have to say on reading it, I did find myself enjoying Emily a lot more than I had in the past. I'd say I'd been more of a Ruby Gloom girl.


One of the rare illustrated bits on the box. The website is fun to visit, you should check it out.


Here is the front of the box and as you can see, Emily had already been freed by the time I thought to take these pictures. Yeah, my bad guys. Wasn't really thinking straight after the convention, was mostly thinking the thoughts of the tired out person. That and Emily had been in this package since 2006 - that's 8 years. Her vinyl was sticky when I took her out. Packaging wise, it's your simple blister pack, and there were no twist ties or anything holding Emily down, which I approve of. A very easy removal job.


Here is Emily! As you can see, she's made of black and white vinyl, with rooted hair. She also comes with a stand and one of her four pet cats. I'm not sure how many of these bendy action figures were made, or if there was a series of them, so I don't know if it's possible to get the other cats. I know one was made in a plush form - I have the ragdoll Emily, have done for years - but again, unsure of who it is.


This particular cat here is called Mystery. I'd say Mystery is like the spokes-cat of the Emily franchise in that it seems to be the one most often seen with Emily herself. There's not articulation on this, it's just the one molded piece, painted to have the right features. Still, it's pretty cute.


Okay, no matter what I did, whenever I tried to take pictures of Emily's white skin, the camera blurred. If anyone has any tips on how to make this not happen, please, share them with me, I will be glad to hear them! She s very pale. actually literally white, with black lips and black eyes.


As we can see here, her profile is quite flat, with the expection of her nose, which sticks out only a little really. I haven't really taken pictures of her arms, but after letting them air for a day or two, I can say that they are less sticky than they were when I freed Emily from her packaging. No, I haven't tested their 'bendy' feature - I'm quite happy just to have Emily as she is.


Rooted hair! Rooted hair on an action figure! This was the thing that turned Emily from a "oh she's nice" into a "I must get her". ... We all get the greedy feels at conventions, don't deny it. Usually it's over books for me, was odd to have it be over a figure this time. But yeah, we can also see Emily's shoes in this pic, which are plain white Mary Janes. Yeah, Emily finds her colour scheme and sticks to it.


And she came with a stand! There's a little peg, which fits into the holes on either foot to allow her to stand freely. It's a nice stand, and does it's job really well. Which is what you want from a stand, so well done to it. Not much else you can say about it really.


So that's Emily. A simple, short review all things considered, but Emily is so simple she's complicated. Or is it she's so complicated, she's simple? Either one. She's still one of my favourite characters, and I'm glad to have this piece in my collection.

Comments

  1. Hi, a great figure, the hair and stand are awesome. The cat is lovely too. I searched a very long time for a 12" Emily everywhere, and nothing yet. Is she made on a very limited edition that you know of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy with the fact she has rooted hair! It makes everything more awesome. As far as I'm aware, Ashton Drake released a 12 inch Emily, but it's only available in the US. Meaning me over here in the UK has no chance of getting it. Le sigh. Ah well. Hope that helps you!

      Delete

Post a Comment