Casta Fierce from Mattel's Monster High

Hullo! Halloween is just around the corner and I've got to admit, it's probably one of my all time favourite holidays. I like the excuse to dress up in a costume - not that I need much of one, even if my cosplay skills are weak. But this is the time for year for all the monsters, ghouls, and other creatures to come out and have a bit of a party, and Mattel seemed to have made a ghoul just for this occasion.


Meet Casta Fierce, daughter of Circe (not sure a mythical Greek witch-goddess counts as a 'monster') and famous pop star of the MH universe. And yes, this is our second pop star - the first being Catty Noir. While Catty has retired from the music life to attend high school, Casta is still going... sort of. Due to her powers, she tends to accidentally turn her audiences into animals. As a result, she only gives a concert once a year - on Halloween. And 'this year', the concert is taking place at Monster High. Casta's box is really colourful, and I love the box art of her. If I was the keeping in the box kind of person, this would be the doll I'd do it for.


Okay, and here is the back of box, with another lovely art piece of Casta herself. Seriously, this box is really beautiful. I'm sorely tempted to search out another Casta just to keep her in box so I have the box to look at. The back of the box gives us the usual bio piece for the character. The bit I find most interesting is who she lists as her friends: Catty Noir is kind of obvious, but then she also lists Operetta as a friend. Hm. I only bring this up as - from when I did watch the webisodes - Operetta's father, the Phantom of the Opera, was mentioned as being a vocal coach for some famous opera singer. Could this be how Casta and Operetta met? It's just... something I find interesting, and I don't really even know the why of it.


And here is Casta without the glare inducing plastic covering. And again, I just feel the need to point out how colourful everything is for her. Seriously, I think this is actually the most colourful Monster High box I've ever seeing. We can see that apart from the doll herself, we also get a broom, a stand, a brush, and the usual diary - but more on that in a bit.


Okay, so this was after I took Casta out the box. Hair was left behind on the box. Even when I gave her the customary quick brush through, she shed a lot. I mean, there's still a lot of hair left on the doll, but it was a bit surprising to see how much was left behind just by taking her out of the box. So, yeah, look out for this.


The diary! Which ... isn't actually a diary. No, this time around we have a photo-book like the type you might pick up at a concert. While this does make sense considering the 'story' around Casta, I think I would have liked to have read some concert notes, or other little details from her or her band in this book, to help flesh them out a bit more. But that's a personal opinion and I have to admit the pictures in the book are very nice.


The broom is actually quite a cool piece of kit. Casta uses it to fly into her concerts, and then it becomes a mic stand for her. The handle of the broom is silver, and the bristles - just a molded bit of plastic - are purple. There are also some tassle decorations on the broom, which is very like Stevie Nicks, who was always considered a bit witchy herself. I had heard Ms Nicks wasn't all that pleased with this at first, but I wonder if she's made her peace with it, as she did cameo in American Horror Story: Coven, which had one of the characters being a huge fan of hers.


Now, Casta is on the 'big sister' body mold, which generally means she is a bit thicker all around, While this is pretty awesome, it does have some problems. This is how the dress sits. Yeah, the Velcro is barely holding itself together. I don't know if this is an issue just with mine or it's there in other Casta's but it's a thing and I'm not entirely sure how to fix it. Hm. I'll think of something, I hope,


Fully body shot! Yeah, she looks lovely. Though, okay, maybe this is just me but I see a green skinned witch, and I'm thinking the Wicked Witch of the West. Maybe one will turn up in the sister series, Ever After High, but I dunno, would have been a great thing to do. Just have her causally mention they transferred from another school... If Cupid can do it, so can a kid of the Wicked Witch! (Or Elphaba, if you prefer. ... We'll leave out Oz: the Great and Powerful though the look of the movie is nice.)


Casta is very much inspired by Beyonce I think, and this is clear in her name which is a take off of Beyonce's alter ego, Sasha Fierce. Those shoulder balls of spikes though.... they make me think this girl is screaming out her songs to a heavy rock beat.


Her dress is this awesome mix of orange, purple, and black. One of these things is not supposed to go well with the others, but it really does? Like, surprisingly well. This is a cool dress. One one arm she wears two purple bracelets, and the other has a black netting sleeve and a single bracelet. It's a cool lok and it does feel like they're trying to overload her with accessories.


Her black hair continues the orange-and-purple that has dress has with those colours streaked into her hair, The bump at the front - I don't know what you call it - basically makes the style remind me of the Single Ladies music video. And yes, I could easily see Casta being a fan of that song. Her hair doesn't shed much anymore, but as I mentioned earlier, it did shed quite a bit after getting it out of the box


And... that's all I've got to say on lovely Casta! She's definitely one to pick up. Next line due out (soon I think) is the Haunted line, which includes a pirate, and a daughter of the grim reaper. I really want the latter. I hope I can find her - keep your fingers crossed for me!

Comments