Hellsing's Alucard from Kaiyodo's Revoltech

You might have gathered from the last two figure reviews that I have a little bit of a thing about anime. I should be clear: it's only CERTAIN animes and mangas that I go crazy for, and no, I couldn't tell you off hand what will make me like a piece of media. Though kick-ass females will usually do the trick, if I'm honest. One of the mangas and animes that I really like is Hellsing. Yeah that gory vampire that had the Nazis in it. ... It's better than it sounds? Well, not, to be fair, it really is incredibly gory, especially in the later volumes, but having read Battle Royale, it doesn't seem as bad in comparison. I managed to get hold of the relatively new Alucard figure and here's a quick review on it. Quick, because once again, half of the pictures I took were not useable. I need to get a better set up than what I'm using.


Now, the name 'Revoltech' comes from the revolver joint that is used only in these figures. It's ... not the greatest joint when it comes to the world of collectable figures. I've heard tales of them losing their hold over the years, though so far my Jack Skellington is still in the position I first placed him in. Alucard's front of box is a plain white, with a black stripe. The text on the box informs us that this is figure 114, and that it was sculpted by Yamaguchi Katsuhisa. And while spell-check is currently telling me those aren't words, I have checked and double checked the spelling. Alucard is 140mm tall, or 14cm for those who prefer height that way. That makes him...about 5.5 inches in height. So a 1/12 scale figure.


Like with pretty much every other collection figure box out there, the back of the box shows us some of the various poses that Alucard can be put into. As you can see from the picture, even the tails of his coat are able to be posed. This can be a little bit of hindrance, if I'm honest. I had the movable cape on my Krauser II Revoltech figure (Krauser is from Detroit Metal City) and it would never just stay where I wanted it to stay. We're also given a guideline as to how the stand works, but this figure doesn't actually need it all that much. More on that soon. We also see an image of all the accessories that he comes with.


Alucard in his container, and yes, this is the best view we get of his face until the figure is actually taken out of the box. Personally, I'm going to say that not giving a clearer view of his face is a downside to this packaging, as it is beautifully sculpted. He comes with two extra faces, two guns, three spare pairs of hands, one single hand, and a very cool hat. There are also effect parts cast in a translucent red plastic.


Alucard out of the box (with his hat, can't forget the hat) and as we can see, the figure is what takes up most of the room in this box. I forgot to mention above, but many Revoltech figures will come with an orange box - seen in the bottom left corner of the above picture. This is actually to store all the spare hands and faces. This is actually a pretty clever idea, and is the second company - Figma being the first - to provide something to keep the parts safe. Come on Figuarts, it's your turn to catch up in this regard.


And here he is, the No Life King himself, standing... on top of my top of The 10th Kingdom novelisation. It was the first book I had to hand. As we can see, he doesn't actually need his stand to stand upright, which is an improvement over Krauser, who still had difficulties staying still even with his stand. (Jack Skellington has tiny feet, and thus is excused for balance issues. Anyway, his stand is a very cool little diorama from Halloweentown). I hope you can enlarge the picture, and see just how beautiful that face sculpt is, my full kudos to Yamaguchi-san. Under his right foot, I have placed one of the effect parts, which attaches via a peg which can be placed into the foot. It doesn't help with the balancing, I don't think, but it does looks really cool.


And that's Alucard. And yes, I've placed him beside the Senshi of Death and Rebirth. I figure Saturn can take him in a fight if she had to. Would I recommend this figure to others? I'm going to say only if you're a fan of Hellsing in the first place, as a lot of his hands and effects parts only make sense when you know the story and thus know the context they're from. That being said, it is a beautiful sculpt, so you may want to pick it up if you are a particular fan of Yamaguchi-san. Overall, I'm happy to have Alucard in my collection, but at the same time, I'll be on the lookout for a Sir Integra; maybe his Master will be able to keep him in line...

Comments

  1. Hi, that's a very cool figure! I also like the effect part very much!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The effect part is really an awesome piece to be included with this figure. I do kind of wish Alucard's coat was red like it is in the anime and the OVAs, though. Admittedly, the black is very striking.

      Delete
  2. Why doesnt any review talk about the upper hip leg joints ?

    They are almost unusable and only work on one axis at a time. Which is a shame because the rest of the figure is so well done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment