The Heroes of Olympus: The Blood of Olympus

So, on that day that this is being written (7th October) I received and finished the last in the Heroes of Olympus series of books. I then proceeded to write up this review and queue it until today so that there's been a bit of time past and I'm not spoiling anyone too horribly. Even if I will try to keep everything vague enough so that nothing is spoiled. Too much. Okay, so last in the series and the Seven are finally facing off against Gaia, Mother Earth herself. This battle is going to be explosive



Well, actually..


Okay, for me the ending of a series needs to answer more questions that it asks, and that's one thing Blood of Olympus doesn't manage to do. Actually, it raises new questions that we have no idea will ever be addressed. We don't know if Rick Ridoran will ever come back to Percy and friends so for now the questions go unanswered.

The action of the book is alright, in most parts. When it comes to the final climatic battle between the Seven and Gaia... well, it's not actually all of the Seven that fight her. It's three, and it's not so much of a fight as it is a tactic I'm sure I've seen pulled on Power Rangers before. Sigh. I did like the book, I just... I have the same problem with it as I had with Mockingjay. It feels like the author got halfway through writing it, then remembered they were on a deadline and sped out an ending as fast as they could and just went 'there, done'. Now, I don't actually think this is how either Collins or Riordan works, but that's just how it came across to me.

There are many positives to the books; we get a lot more page time for both Reyna and Nico, who have been fan favourites from their introductions. Jason continues his development into more than just the cookie cutter son of Jupiter (what? He was kind of bland in the last few books, he only really made an improvement in House of Hades.) Frank grows into the awesome commander we knew he'd always be, Hazel becomes at one with her powers, and Leo is always awesome.

There are three names left out of the above list. One is Piper. Piper and I have a mixed relationship. I can see what Riordan wanted to achieve with her, but... he's still not managing it. Yes, she was a lot more tolerable in this book, but that's about as far as I can take it. As a character, she's been the most static of the Seven. There's big talk of how rebellious and helpful she is and while I'll agree her charmspeak is a handy talent, it's literally a Deus ex Machina. A gift from the Gods to help get out of a tight spot. Totally justifiable in a book concerning Gods, but actually kind of boring to read about. And pretty damn terrifying when - until this book - she didn't realise when it was she was using it and now admits to having to consciously working at not using it. Oh Piper, you and I could have been friends, but as it stands, I really wish someone else had your place in the Seven. When it comes down to it, sweetie, you're the one who has to clean up the mess.

That's not to say she didn't have her awesome moments in the book. All the ladies had them - and I was cheering at each one. It just... well, you know how cliche the phrase 'took you long enough' is? Yeaaaaaah... kind of how I feel here. Piper. I'm really, really happy you took a level up and starting being the boss we knew you could be, but honey, couldn't it have happened earlier? Like ... two books ago?

Also? Her charmspeak is so powerful she can talk Gaia back to sleep? Sorry, but hell to the no. Gaia is the Grandmother of Gods, she was the first in the Greek panatheon to exist. Some demigod should not be able to put her to sleep so easily.

The other two names? Annabeth and Percy. There wasn't enough of them in this book. I know, I know, the previous series was all about Percy, but that's sort of my point. He's the character the readers are most connected with and when it's all going down? He's off fighting the foot-soliders with Annabeth.

To take down Gaia should have required the efforts of ALL the Seven. Not just three of them fighting Gaia and the rest dealing with her minions.And if someone throws 'but we started Heroes of Olympus with those three' in my face, I will not hesistate to smack them with one of the books. The whole message of this series has been about cooperation. So all of them should have cooperated in bringing down the big bad.

Again, I don't mean to rage on the book but because the battle is so near the end, it's what sticks in my mind. I love the Reyna and Nico chapters so much. Also the Leo chapters. Piper... I've said my piece. Again, she's more tolerable in this book but still not going to be high on my list of favourites. I did like the book, I did...

And then they made the resolution to Nico's crush on Percy a bit of a joke. He's been dealing with it the whole book, admitting that now he's a bit older he finds Percy's sense of humour a bit juvenile but that's part of what endears him to Percy. He comes into Nico's mind at the most inopportune of times, and Nico has to try hard to find the guy annoying.  Then some stuff happens at Camp Half Blood, and Nico has to spend time with Will Solace - who I really do like as a character. He and Lou Ellen are two of the background demigods I wish we got more time with. This is a good thing, because Will does not suffer Nico's brooding.

When Nico next sees Percy? "Oh hey I had a crush on you. Don't know. LOL. High five, Annabeth" and let's leave Percy so confused. Again, I understand what Riordan was trying to do here: show that Nico had grown throughout his adventure, but the resolution to it feels so cheap, and disrespectful to Nico that I couldn't help but cringe. (Even if it does seem like he's got something beginning to happen with Will).

Overall the book was ... acceptable to me. It's not my favourite in the Heroes of Olypmus series, and really The Last Olympian was a better closer than The Blood of Olympus was. In my opinion. Maybe I'm in the miniority here. In a way, I really hope I am. I hope that everyone else loves this book and it's just me being a stick in the mud because I'm not ready to say goodbye to these characters yet. I just ... think that it could have been more than what it was. And that makes me sad.

But, well, there's Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard next Autumn. The summary on Amazon makes it sound a bit like the first Percy Jackson book. I just wonder if the relation means we'll see Death Boy, Wise Girl and Seaweed Brains again.

I'd like that.

Comments