Fate/Stay Night's Saber from Max Factory's Figma

It's the last week of NaNoWriMo! Okay, so I'm actually writing this ages in advance and queuing it so I can't write anything about my progress. Hopefully I've done fairly well. I hope to at least get 25,000 words done, if I can't make the full 50,000. So... another Figma today. Last one for a while, possibly. It's Saber, from Fate/Stay Night!


As you can see from the number '003' on the box, this was one of the early Figmas, so I will say now the articulation isn't as brilliant as later releases. Actually, there is a Saber 2.0 coming out soon, which means that people are selling off their original Saber figures. Which is how I managed to get this one, so yes, this is a used figure. However, it's in fantastic condition and the seller was lovely, so I'm very grateful to have her. Would it have been better for me just to wait on Saber 2.0? I ... don't know. Honestly, when I went looking for this figure, I didn't know a new one was coming out. I didn't find out until Saber here was on her way. Now that I have her, well, I don't really want to exchange her just to get an updated model.

Anyway, as we can see, the box for the Saber Figma is really beautiful. It's basically a lovely sunset which just gives off this tranquil feel. From what I've seen of Saber in both animes in the Fate franchise... it does sort of fit her.


As always, we have the pictures on the box that show some of the different poses that Saber can take. Again, compared to some Figmas, this posing is really subdued, but again that feels in fitting with the character. As a box decoration, however, yeah, I'll admit, it probably is a little boring to see this static action poses. But, again, this was one of the early releases, so they were still on the learning curve at this point in time.


Okay, okay, I know this is another subdued pose, but I really do like this. Saber is known in the Fate franchise as the King of Knights, and I think this photo on the box really helps to get that across. We just see her, standing watchful, hands resting on her sword, ready if she should be needed. For people who know the character, it manages to get a lot across, I think. Plus, with the lovely sunset type background of the box itself, it really looks nice. Yes, I'm a sucker for pretty look things sometimes. Gods help me when I go to the Disney Store soon. The new ornaments should be out, and they're always wonderfully done.


Just to show that the sunset effect is continued on the box insert as well. While I do like the solid colours that recent releases have been using for their boxes, there is a part of me that kind of would like to see something like this a little more with Figma boxes. I don't know. maybe it's because it wasn't really what I expected Saber's box to look it that I'm just sort of surprised by it, but I think it would be nice to have different sort of scenery designs on boxes.


And here is Saber in her box! As I mentioned. I bought her second-hand, but the seller had previously just kept her in box, so it was really like getting it new. When I first saw her, I did have a moment of just sitting and thinking she was really ridculously pretty. Saber is one of those badass lady character types that I really have a soft spot for, and badass lady action figures tend to be a weakness as well. When I heard Marvel Legends were releasing a movie version Black Widow, well she became a very high priority to find. Unfortunately, trying to get the Marvel Legend figure line in the UK can be a little bit of a problem.

Anyway, Saber in the plastic packaging. You really get the sense of the colour in her figure from this, all royal blues and silvers. Also, her armour is fantastic, but I'll talk about that a bit later on.


Spare hands! That happen to be silver! Again, this is because Saber is wearing armour, which includes gauntlets for her hands. No good knight would leave their hands unprotected, after all. Also, from what I heard? The type of sword that knights fought with were quite heavy, and I don't really know where I'm going with this. It did have a point when I started to write it, honestly. Not as many hands as later releases would provide, but enough to do Saber justice.


Here we can see the two swords that Saber comes with a little more clearly. Yeah, they've both got names, but I cannot remember them at the current moment in time, and if I pause to go find out, I'll come back and have completely lost my train of thought for this quick look review. In which I happen to be rambling quite a bit. Huh. The paint applications of the sheaths for the swords are amazingly done, with no flaws as far as I was able to tell. The paint on the swords themselves is likewise pretty awesome.

We can also see the two face-plates that Saber comes with; one a yelling one, and one a serious expression. Both very fitting for the character, but I personally much prefer the default expression. I'm kind of boring like that.


We also get an alternative wind swept hair piece for Saber! This is really well molded, and while there isn't as much detail in the hair as the 2.0 seems to be promising to have, it still comes across really well. The blonde is a little darker than it looks in this picture; the problems of using flash (but honestly, if you don't use flash everything comes out slightly blurry)


And here is Saber herself. Funny that I mentioned blurry pictures just there... The skirt of her dress can actually be moved, to allow you to move her legs more. Her armour is just fantastic, though if this were a realistic setting, she would need a lot more protection than the type it's offering. Some of it just does come off as decorative. Which does make sense, in part, seeing as she's a King, but considering who Saber is, it also seems to be a bit of a fallacy; surely that person of all people would have a full set of armour? This isn't really a criticism of the figure but more the design itself, but even so I still love how Saber looks.

This particular Figma is one I would recommend to everyone, particularly people who want a badass lady in their collection who isn't a superhero of some kind (since they seem to do the most lady figures.) Worth picking up whether you get this older version, or hold out for the newer version which is coming out... at some point, I'm not actually sure when.

Good luck for the last few days of NaNo, people who are participating!

Comments