Fate/Zero's Emyia Kiritsugu from Max Factory's Figma

Fate/Zero is the anime prequel to the Type Moon visual novel, Fate/Stay Night. It focuses on the previous Holy Grail War that basically sets up the events of Fate/Stay Night. As far as animes go, it's pretty awesome actually. The animation is beautiful, and while the first half of the story can be a little clunky, the second half is just... wow. One of the characters featured in this anime is Emiya Kiritsugu, who is known as the Magus Killer. Let's have a look at the Figma they released of him, shall we?


As always we start with a look at the front of the box. As you can see from this picture, this box got a little bashed in the packaging. Not really noticeable until you spot it, then it seems to be all you can spot. If that makes any sort of sense. We're using dark colours for this box's base, and from what I know of Kiritsugu, yeah that fits. (I've only really half watched the anime. I enjoy what I've seen, but I'll admit I prefer Waver and Rider at the current moment. Such a brilliant team. Saber is awesome as always though)


A glimpse at the back of the box gives us the usual run down on various poses that this Figma can strike. Actually, they do keep his posing very subdued on the box pictures, This is very much in fitting with the character, and thus doesn't really feel like a cop-out when seeing it on the back of the box. We also get a glimpse of another Figma, who happens to be Kiritsugu's wife. I'm working on getting her. There's one, maybe two, other characters from the Fate series that I'd like to get in Figma form, but I don't think they actually have Figmas of them. They have Nendoriods though, so I might look into that. If/when I have saved up some money. (Yeah, come the New Year? We're probably going to have a lot more book and tv reviews than toy reviews, though I'll try to keep some scattered about the place)


The top of the box. This tells us that this is figure 151 from the Figma line. We also get a little bust picture of Kiritsugu, holding a cigarette. Remember kids, smoking isn't cool, and only badass anti-heroes do it. Waiiiit... We also get a moon in the corner of the box, which I think might be a reference to Type Moon but think if it is, its a very lazy reference. Show some creativity here people. Still, it's nice, and nice box art is a plus.


And there's the Fate/Zero sign on the inside of the box. I like this. ... Yeah, no real comment apart from that, just me saying that I like it. Which I do. Um... Okay, let's move on then. Oh actually, I noticed that the back slip in each box seems to have a little perforated bit. Are you supposed to punch these bits out or something, to use as a base for the stand?


And here he is in the plastic, with plastic sheets covering him. Yeah, they always do this, and I'm never quite sure on the why. I think it's to stop the figure sticking to the packaging and then having the problem of paint peels when trying to remove it, but if it's that the case, why are the extra pieces it comes with just left?


As always with any Figma release from Max Factory, we have the spare hands and the stand. Not much to say about these, apart from that they're always useful. Again, I sort of find that some Figmas can stand fairly well without the use of the stand - Kiritsugu is one of these ones. Still, it's nice to have in case I need it for some fairly more elaborate posing. It could happen.


And here we have a failed attempted close up on the face plates and the tiny little cigarettes that come with the figure. Yeah, those are never coming out of the packaging, I don't care if it's more in-character to have him posing with one. My track record for little tiny things is not good, and I am not even going to risk it here. We also see that he comes with three different types of guns. I do not pretend to even have more than an extremely basic knowledge of guns, so I won't try to describe them here. Needless to say, it's an interesting accessory to come with.


And here we have some effect parts for the guns and two... I'm not even sure. Extra limbs of some sort but I really can't work out what part of the body they belong to. And yes, I have taken Kiritsugu out of the box by this point.

Like all Figmas, his articulation is fantastic, if limited a little by the length of his long coat. However, the main thing with this particular Figma is the look, and the look of Kiritsugu is amazing. Admittedly, the eyebrows on his face-plates are far too low - they should fit more under the bangs but they don't - but they still manage to get across the look of the character very well. There doesn't seem to be any paint defects on my figure, but I may not be looking hard enough to pick up on them.

Overall, this is a figure I would really recommend to fans of the Fate series already, or to people who just really want a cool looking badass in their figure collection. He'd work pretty well as some sort of secret agent.


Comments