Loki Agent of Asgard: Trust Me

Loki is kind of big business these days, mostly due to the fantastic performances that Tom Hiddlestone puts in when he's on screen in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (known fondly as the MCU). Of course, the fact that he is a handsome person is probably a great contributer to the amount of fans that the character now seems to have, but let's give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that what really draws them in is the very layered performance. Tumblr character meta pieces do suggest that as being the reason, anyway. Anyway, Loki in the comics has gone through some changes too, in a storyline that can be summed up as: died, was reborn as a child, old self took over child body, was magically changed into an adult, now trying not to fall into old habits. And that's where this review takes place.


Loki Agent of Asgard is a current on-going, that follows Loki as he attempts to make his way in the world now, trying to avoid being weighed down by his past and not become that which he wants to avoid. Whole on the way he proves himself to not be above fan-service, and to be a generally more likable and amiable God of Mischief. And I should point out that God of Evil was always a Marvel thing, the original myth Loki was the dude that you'd want to party with, not the guy you worry about causing the world to go boom.

It's really hard to explain this series without going too far into spoiler territory, but I'll try my best. The first trade paperback is basically setting up what will be the status quo for this series... sort of. There is a major plot twist really early on, and then at the end there's another. The art is gorgeous, really the type I want to try my own hand at drawing. Yeah, I can draw a little, but I really need visual references to work from.

The writing of the series is also really good. Loki has always struck me as the villain who would look around at all his defeats and go "the hell with this" so seeing him actively trying to make changes in his life fits entirely with my view of him. It's also an interesting in-sight into Loki himself, as we learn that no matter the shape he takes, he is always himself. Writer Ewing has noted Loki as being gender-fluid, which is something that isn't explored much in comics, so I'll be looking forward to seeing that occur more in this title.

Overall, this is just one of those titles that I would shove at someone who wanted to get into comics. Yeah, you need a little bit of set up, but the stories told here really stand on their own well enough for anyone to get into. Another one I'm glad to have on my shelf

(Yes, I am very careful about what comics I pick up for my shelf. There's generally only good stuff there)

Comments