Ms Marvel: No Normal

Marvel is a comic company that I'm really only getting to grips with now. Growing up, I was always more of a DC girl, though I did enjoy me some Spider-Man on the odd occasion. Since my access to Marvel growing up was pretty much whatever trade paperback the local library had in, this usually meant slightly older comics, meaning I didn't have to suffer through the Clone Wars for Spidey. Anyway, nowadays, Marvel - I think - is kind of winning the comics race from what I can tell, bringing out interesting stories that don't always rely on the doom and gloom. One of these new hits is the new Ms Marvel


New Ms. Marvel follows young Kamala Khan, a Muslim-American from Jersey city, who has to content with her faith in modern day America, dealing with her overly strict parents, a 'concern troll' of a classmate, and suddenly having superpowers and being the new Ms Marvel. Oh, and school and being grounded. Yes, it's another teen hero, but you know what? Kamala is freakin' adorable. And I'm really not just saying that. 

One of the most important things when writing a character in a superhero comic - particularly if they're young - is to make the person behind the mask as three dimension as possible, so that it is easier for people to relate to. In the first issue, you've got to set that up, and they manage to do it here. Kamala is shown to be a sweet girl, with good friends, who is doing her best to find her place in society. A theme that even people who aren't teenagers at high school can relate to, at least so I've found. 

After sneaking out to a party - which she does kind of regret doing, but at the same time she did feel the need to rebel and have an identity of her own - she encounters a mist which gives her visions of Captain Marvel, Iron Man and Captain America. On seeing these three, she promptly geeks out. Did I mention Kamala is a fan-girl who writes her own fan-fiction? Actually, she writes adventure based fics for the Avengers, which is pretty awesome of her. So when Captain Marvel apparition asks her what she wants, Kamala answers that she wants to be her.

Oh boy, talk about a literal genie.  

Telling you anymore from here would spoil what is a really good read. I know, all you have to take is my word on it... except you don't. Ms Marvel #1 is one of the rare few comics that got a 7th printing! It's become a gateway comic, with people who wouldn't usually enter a comic store, coming in to pick up this title. 

Seriously, if that's not a glowing recommendation, I don't know what is. 

Comments