Vocaloid KAITO Figma From Max Factory

Another week, another toy review! First of all, I should apologise. Although it might not be obvious to you, since I queue, I am not writing these reviews as promptly as I ought to be doing, and that makes me feel a bit of a git to be honest. I know that this blog is basically for the sake of my own amusement, but that doesn't mean that I should allow myself to slack off just because. So, yes, apologies. And with that... let's move on to the review!


Okay, as we can see from the box here, KAITO is Figma number 192. He's one of the early Vocaloid characters, and from what I can tell, seems to be given a generally jovial personality. He also has videos in which he plays a secretly creepy person, but all Vocaloids have videos like that. I like to think of them as being very dedicated to their music, in that regard, that they will perform as the song intends. Being a pre-200 Figma, we have a more colourful looking box, with slight pattern on it. And yes, I know box pictures are kind of boring, but I'm interested in packaging for some odd reason that I've never been quite able to explain,


The side view of the box, which allows us a full shot of KAITO. Being one of the early Vocaloids, he has colours that are generally associated with him, these ones being blue and white (I think). I'd link to the You Gotta Have Blue Hair trope here, but TVTropes is one of those sites which you go into for one thing, and come out five hours later wondering where your day has gone, so I'll try to save you that. I will admit to really liking how clean the photography is on all these boxes. Yes, I know they've been touched up in some photo editing software, but the point still stands!


And it's a double tray Figma! Considering how thick the boxes generally are, I'm not surprised more Figmas aren't double tray. Out of the six I have (and no, I have no idea how I managed to be lucky enough to have six Figmas) only two are double trays. Interestingly, they're both figures of Vocaloid characters. I wonder if this trend will change when my Cardcaptor Sakura Figma arrives later this year. (Yes, I did pre-order, and I am saving up very hard to make sure that I will have enough money when the time comes. Also since CCS is one of those childhood animes, it was very hard for me to resist her) But yes, as we can see here, we are given two trays, the bottom of which contains an extra accessory.


A closer look at this bottom tray shows the exra accessory to be a longer version of the scarf that KAITO is already wearing. Most art I've seen of this character already shows him wearing a long scarf, so I do wonder why this version wasn't the default on the character. I'm going to assume something to do with packaging allowances, and try not to think too hard on it, because it will probably end up irritating me at some point or another. Things like that generally do happen; we all have those points that just... sit and irritate.


In the top layer, we can see that as well as the default smiling face plate, we are given two extra faces. One is what I assume to be KAITO in singing mode, the other being an extremely happy looking face. This does fit with the charactersiation of him I've found being a pretty happy person. He also have two ice creams with him. According to that site which swallows all of the time, fandom seem to have made ice cream his favourite food, so it was nice of Figma to include an accessory that favoured that fandom view. Or maybe it's an official stance from the company that own him. Like I've mentioned before, I'm not exactly up on my Vocaloid knowledge. Though at least now I have a few songs I like, and have looked into it all a bit more than when I did the review on Miku 2.0.


As always with Figma, the figure comes with extra hands - four extra pairs actually - a stand, and a bag to put all the extra bits in, should you choose not to keep the box. This is actually really decent of the company, as it shows an awareness that other companies don't seem to - that not everyone who buys the figures will necessarily have the room to keep the boxes. I'm fortunate in that due to have a few bookcases in my room, there is some box storage space. So far. Might be running out fairly soon, actually. Books take priority, and there's always a book sale on somewhere. (Yes, this will become relevant towards the end of the review, so please wait and see)


And here is a look at KAITO himself! He's a very jolly seeming chap, and wow that's probably the most English sentence I've ever written in my life. And I'm Scottish so that really is saying a lot right there. The white of his coat has this sheen to it, and I know the word to describe it, but honestly I can't even spell it, and can barely pronounce it properly, so we'll stick to sheen. He also has plain brown trousers, white shoes, and black and yellow stripes on his coat. These odd colours all work quite well together, even with paired with blue hair and a blue scarf.


On the back of the figure, we can see the knee joints a bit clearer. They're painted in a slightly darker shade of brown. This is probably done because plastic does tend to lighten with bending, but it does make them stick out a bit, so there's that to be dealing with. We also see that the top of the coat has an entire black panel, below which is the hole that the stand plugs into. However, KAITO is one of those figures who does actually stand fairly well on his own, though I'd advise being careful as to where you place him, just in case of falling.


This is just to show that KAITO can sort of sit down. So, essentially, a let's show off the articulation picture. Sitting is a little awkward due to the length of his coat, but I found I was able to give him this rather cool perch like pose that came across as quite natural with little trouble. Yes, it was on his own box, but it was the most sturdy thing to hand at time, and frankly, boxes are good for practising poses on, I think. For figures at least.


So that's KAITO, and here he is standing beside his - in my figure-canon (we've all got it) - frequent duet partner, Hatsune Miku. And yes, I have rearranged my figure set up. Maybe some day I will post a picture of it.

Also! I am attempting to keep a list of books that I have read throughout the year, and see how many I get to. I plan to update the blog on the last day of each month with how many books I have read through that month. The aim is for most of these books to be new reads, but I will include books that I have re-read through the books. And this list will also include comics and graphic novels.

Well, that's all. Book update at the end of the month, and then, 'till the next review, I wish you well, dear readers!

Comments