Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige


So one of the books I read during January was Dorothy Must Die, the first of a new YA series by new author Danielle Paige. Well, I say 'new' author, Paige has written for a few tv shows, but Dorothy Must Die is her first novel. How does it measure up? Well, first let me explain the plot.

The novel follows a teenage girl from Kansas by the name of Amy Gumm. Amy is in the unfortunate position of being disliked by one of the most popular girls in her school, and thus has to contend with being disliked in general. She appears to be relatively clever, but has not the ideal home life - living in a trailer park with her Mother, who seems to spend the majority of her time drunk. Long story short: life is not fun for Amy. Then a tornado hits, and whirls her away to Oz. Only this is not the Oz of the stories she remember, This Oz is dark, and dangerous, and the magic is leaving it's land. Why? One Dorothy Gale. Wicked is good and Good is Wicked and Amy has one mission: Kill Dorothy.

Sooo.... as you can guess, it's a re-imagining sequel type thing. Yeah, I don't actually have the right words to describe it. I can tell you that without a single doubt? This is a good story to read, and I am happily awaiting the next in the series. Amy as a character is very easy to like, but not to the point that you are blinded to her flaws. She comes across as a very real sort of person, getting jealous as inappropriate moments - which she notes herself makes no real sense - and feeling very confused by the whole mess that she seems to have found herself in. Paige's writing is strong enough to keep us on Amy's level, while at the same time letting us know just how not right Oz has become.

As for Dorothy herself? Honestly, my first thoughts on reading the description of Dorothy were to wonder if this was secretly a critique of those Hallowe'en costumes of story characters for women. You know, the sexy ones for classic characters like Alice and Dorothy? But on a more important note, you could argue that Dorothy shows an extreme view of addiction within the story, but I'll let you decide that for yourself.

Overall, I found it to be a good read, something that I found myself getting through faster than expected. While the action does seem to be slow, with everything then happening at a rush towards the end of the book, it oddly fits for what the story is about. And no, I can't explain that any clearer, much as I'd like to. It is a book that I would recommend people try to get their hands on, if only to experience Paige's Oz for themselves.

Just remember, the Wicked will rise.

Comments