Cinderella Movie Review


So today (30th March), I was lucky enough to go and see the brand new live action out-put from Walt Disney: Cinderella. I've always had an odd relationship with this story growing up. I thought that Cinderella was too passive, that all she wanted was a prince, and why the hell didn't she just turn round and give her step-family the rolicking they rightly deserved for their behaviour? Over recent years, this attitude has softened a lot; and I did realise that Cinderella didn't want a Prince, she wanted a damn night off and a pretty dress for a few hours. Not a lot to ask really?

So going into this movie, I knew I was going to be in for a visual delight and great direction. I just had to sit through the Frozen Fever short first. I just... ugh, I am a sufferer of Frozen Fatigue. Please, Disney, I know it's this huge cash cow for you, but stop milking it. That being said, yeah, the short was actually alright. Being short helped in its favour, but honestly? I wouldn't have paid out money for cinema tickets just for that short, as I've heard some people are doing.

Cinderella... Cinderella was clever. It showed that not all feminism is rocking the system, and screaming down your abusers. Sometimes it's soft, and takes its time, and needs both courage and kindness to make sure that it comes. Ella is a gentle heart, but she is far from a passive character, and though she swings no sword, she does her best to protect that which is nearest to her heart. Lily James is adorable in the role, and that ball gown! I couldn't keep my eyes off her.

Cate Blancett's step-mother is... rounded but still evil. People have commented that this is how Maleficent ought to have been, but I say boo to them as they clearly misunderstood the message of that movie, but that's a rant for another day. Lady Tremaine is a perfect villain for this movie, and kudos to her actor for a brilliant job.

Also, HBC... you know I love you. Your Fairy Godmother was a scene stealer.

And Richard Madden as Prince Kit? Freakin' adorable.

Okay, I don't think I've managed to spoil any of the important twists that happen in the movie, but I've expressed my love for it. Go and see it while it's still in cinemas, if you have the opportunity!

Comments