The Lion King Musical, in the Lyceum Theatre, London


On 8th May, I was lucky enough to have tickets for the evening performance of The Lion King in London's West End. It's been over 10 years since I last saw this show live - I saw it in either 2000 or 2001 with my primary school after we won tickets. Basically, it's been a while, and being the only one of my family to see it, I was not going to turn round and say no when the others expressed an interest in seeing the show when we took a short trip down to London during the off-season (because things are cheaper then.)

Dear readers, I am glad beyond glad that I opted to join them on the trip to see it. It is so much more amazing than I could remember.

The opening has been described as the best opening of any show in the West End and I have to agree whole-heartedly with that statement. It's such an amazing mixture of sound, and colours, and performance with these fantastic puppets that really help to bring to life just what the Circle of Life is all about. More than once in the audience I heard gasps of awe and it wasn't just from the younger members - the Mum was staring in amazement and hasn't stopped recommending the show to anyone who asks her about it.

Vocally, we're talking about top marks all around here, with particular highlight of the show for me going to Ava Brennan, who played adult Nala. This lady is fantastic - able to keep the sheer emotion of the character close to the top while belting out the moving Shadowland. She's become my choice for Eponine next cast change, if only someone could point her in the direction of the Les Misérables casting people...

I think, mostly importantly, this is a show that is meant for the whole family. While they obviously do not recommend very small children being taken in to see the show - and frankly, I don't think very small children should be made to sit for nearly 3 hours at a theatre anyway - there's still a great sense of family atmosphere when you walk in. The staff are very friendly and very helpful, and stand with not just programmes but a small selection of the merchandise which you can buy at the larger shop at the top of the stairs.

Yes, I might have something to show you, but that's not for a while yet...

Comments