Review: Yotsuba&!, Vol. 01

Yotsuba&!, Vol. 01 Yotsuba&!, Vol. 01 by Kiyohiko Azuma
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Yotsuba&! is actually a manga I found out about through figure pictures. I know, an odd way to find out about new (to yourself that is) manga, but I just kept seeing the figure of this cute little green-haired girl and wondered where it came from. (With any luck, I'll track down my own little figure at a good price)

The first volume of the manga introduces us to our titular character, her Daddy, Daddy's friend Jumbo, and the next door neighbours. And quite frankly I can't think of another way to describe the feeling of reading this first volume other than it's like being smothered with adorableness. As a character Yotsuba reminds me a little of the character Lilo in that she'd very endearingly weird. Like a little kid should be.

She's so enthusiastic about everything and seems to love just learning about the world around her. And while she might not always get it right, she keeps trying and it's so hard to see her efforts and not stop and grin to yourself. If there isn't a mascot that represents that irresistible urge to grin? Yotsuba should become it; because that's exactly the feeling you get during this first volume.

I really can't wait to check out the rest of the volumes that are available, and see how Yotsuba takes to life in her new home, and how she brings in her neighbours and probably everyone else around her, into these daily adventures. (Because it might just be everyday life, but every day is an adventure to Yotsuba.)

I would recommend this manga to everyone. A kid looking for their first manga, an old pro who has read nearly everything out there, and even just the casual fan. This really is the type of story that can be for everyone.

I can't wait to read some more!

View all my reviews

Comments