Let's Talk About "The Real Hoosewives Fae Glesga"

Picture from the Pavilion Theatre Glasgow website. 
Dear diary, 

3rd Feburary 2016.

I like to believe I'm a person a good taste. I mean, I like to think that at least... The Mum had heard of this comedy that always sold out the theatre, and thought it would be nice if we all went to see it. After all, a laugh is always a good thing to have. "The Real Hoosewives fae Glesga", the popular "smash hit" from writer Stuart Thomas. Well, if tonight was any judge, either I'm one of the few people left with good taste, or I just don't get what humour is meant to be.

This humour was the lowest of the low, and I say that as someone who can happily giggle at the stupidity of Jack Whitehall's Bad Education. Our lead characters are all 2 dimensional stereotypes: the Posh One, the Tart, the Boozer, the Idiot, and the Fat One. Their nemesis is worse than two dimensional - the Evil TV Producer who has a huge "secret" revealed that receives too many laughs considering the nature of it. It's played for laughs anyway, what can I expect from a show that has the best laugh - one of my only two laughs - come 20 minutes in, and is as follows: "Never go to bed angry. Stay up an' fight wi' the bastard."

The only redeeming character of the show is constantly belittled, called a "fairy," and has the Fat One insist she'll "turn him straight", despite the fact she is apparently happily engaged and looking forward to her wedding. He gained my only other laugh for the night with his sheer being done with being pushed around by the Evil TV Producer, who treats him like a toy. There's music in the show, badly sung and with sound levels so terrible, I begin to think that the person at the sound-desk has fallen asleep on top of it. 

I don't get it. The whole theatre was laughing their heads off and I was sitting there genuinely going wondering when the comedy was going to start. This wasn't funny, it was painful. The joke were predictable and played so obviously that I could tell you the punchline before it was played out. The acting was... over the top ridiculous and not in the fun way. 

I'm told that the whole premise behind this series - yes, this is the second or third play for the Real Hoosewives - is that it's for the person from Glasgow who isn't afraid to make fun of themselves. I've got a better tagline.

It's for the person from Glasgow who believes we're all being a bit too "PC" these days. I won't be seeing the Real Hoosewives again. I wish I hadn't seen them the first time. 

And now, if you don't mind? I'm going to watch something genuinely funny. 


Comments