Review: Return to the Isle of the Lost

Return to the Isle of the Lost Return to the Isle of the Lost by Melissa de la Cruz
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Return to the Isle of the Lost is the follow up to 2015's Isle of the Lost by Melissa de la Cruz, both tie in movies to the Disney Channel Original Movie Descendants. The books focus on the children of the classic Disney villains, and their lives. So there's a short recap. What about this book?

It's not as good at the first one.

I feel horrible saying that, but it's true. I can't quite put my finger on it, the book starts off quite strong and you feel as though you're going to be experiencing the same type of ride as you did with the first. But... But it doesn't happen. Return is written to fit more in line with the events and characterisations of the movie rather than the previous book and I think that may be why there are problems. The first book was darker than the movie, though still in a family friendly way. Mal has gone from Queen of the Schemers, she who cannot be out-schemed to being easily played. Evie and Carlos had retained their sense and Jay has gained fear and lost his habit of lifting. While character development is a good thing, it has to be done in the right way, and I don't think this novel has let it happen.

Of course the reason of the plot is also a bit of a let down, being more of a find quest that doesn't have the same stakes as the one of the previous book. It's rare in these reviews that I find myself lost for what to say but it's honestly happened here. I enjoyed reading Return, for what it's worth, but I don't think it's as engaging or memorable as the first book. The writing is still good quality, it's just the story isn't as... It didn't grip me in the same way.

Read it if you like Descendants, but it's not one I'd recommend people to go out of their way and read, to be honest. I hope the upcoming School of Secrets series is more engaging.

View all my reviews

Comments