Review: Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a book which I don't think I will ever completely comprehend, and I'm okay with this knowledge. The book follows young Jacob, who loses his Grandfather in a rather violent way and seeks to learn more about the man's past. The journey that Jacob takes to learn more about his Grandfather reveals many surprising - and horrifying - things. Jacob will need to decide if he is ready for this new world. And yes, that is the best way to give a summary without spoiling anything.

The big thing about this novel are the vintage photographs which Ransom Riggs uses to continue the narrative and illustrate the fantastical descriptions given. Without these photographs, I don't doubt that the story would be as good, but they do lend a certain extra something to the story that helps to lift it to a higher level of story-telling. Also, they are nice pictures and it's always nice to see older examples of photography.

The Miss Peregrine's series is to have it's first movie released in September 2016. I would really advise reading these books first and no doubt there will be changes and there are just things that happen on the pages that need to be read to be believed. I'm looking forward to reading the next book, and this is certainly one I'll recommend to people if they ask.

View all my reviews

Comments