The FriDoll Five: What's in Your Pants?

This is something a little different. First of all I should say that I got the idea for this from Veni Vidi Dolli, and that you should all go and look at her blog. She talks about many different toy lines - mostly dolls - from past to present. She makes sure her posts are filled with information and always manages to find the most interesting pictures.

So! What is the "FriDoll Five?" Basically, each Friday, I will post five questions relating to dolls along with my answers. This will go on as long as I have questions to answer to feel free to post questions and your own answers to the questions posted in the comments. We all good? Here we go then!

1. Have you ever sewn an outfit for your own doll? By hand, or machine?
Yes, I have actually. Nothing fancy. just a little waistcoat, and making make-shift sleeves on to a dress. I did it by hand because I don't actually have a sewing machine. I've got a custom in planning at the moment for which I'll need to make a great kilt, so that will be a little bit trickier, but I think I might be able to do it - I've found good references online. I also made a top hat for a Mad Hatter custom that fell through.

2. Do you prefer hand-sewn outfits or store bought outfits, and why?
I've never really been the type of person to run out and buy fashions for dolls that already have perfectly good clothing on them. For a custom doll, I quite like setting up a signature look for them and then that's it. That signature is usually a mix of hand sewn or store bought, depending on the shape and size of the doll so... I guess the answer is an equal mix of both, really.

3. Do you prefer your male or female dolls to wear underwear? Why or why not?
This is something I've never really thought on, actually. I suppose having underwear does make things easier - I've often despaired with some of the very short skirts for Monster High dolls that make it difficult for them to sit without accidentally flashing someone.

4. If you had the opportunity/luxury to do so, would you coordinate your dolls' underwear to go with the outfit? (in terms of color, historical accuracy, how nice it looks as a whole)
Ooh, this is a very good question. Honest answer is... yeah, probably. If I had the luxury to do so, I'd love to have a doll in complete historically accurate costume. The A Girl for All Time line is very pleasing to me because of my love of history, so I think that yeah, this is something I would do if granted the luxury and opportunity.

5. What do you think about dolls with painted-on or molded-on underwear?
I am going to go with liking painted on underwear, as at least the paint makes it clearer that they are wearing underwear. I'm not particularly prudish, but it just seems to make things a little easier when posing if you don't have to worry about flashing people. Molded-on is good at well, but painted is my preference here.

Comments