FriDoll Five: Culture and Ethnicity

1. How would you describe your own cultural identity/background? (If you don't feel like answering this one, please feel free to make up your own question.)
I'm Scottish, and also third-generation Irish on my Mother's side. Mostly I stick with the Scottish though, there's a lot of overlap in the cultures and history as there two countries are really ridiculously close to each other and were equal favourites for England to pick on for most of history. Seriously: Ireland and Scotland were among the first countries invaded by England and added to their Empire, if you want to get technical about it. And yes, that is even though James I was James VI.

2. Have you ever given a doll a name from another culture? What names did you choose, and why?
(e.g. a name that has a meaning in a language that you don't normally speak, a name typically associated with a culture other than yours)
Well, yes I have. Largely it's because the doll is of a different cultural background than myself, and giving them names I'd hear in a daily setting generally wouldn't work. Well, sort of anyway. If I'm certain places in Glasgow, then there's a great wide spectrum of names and that's beautiful really. The most recent one related to my little Dumpling Doll, Tabitha, who inspired the witch character of the same name. Now, Tabitha looks nothing like her character, but that doll version is her. I needed to find names to fit her cultural background and I haven't really settled on any that I like best, yet.

3. Do you have any dolls who are a specific nationality/cultural background?
Yes, I do. Largely because I tend to buy dolls with nationalities and cultures already set. Seriously, the only doll who has the same nationality and culture as me is Merida, so go from there. Every other doll I own? Different to me. Tabitha is a special example, and I may try to find a more accurate version of her. Her cultural background is quite specific so it may prove a little difficult.

4. Do you have any ethnic folkwear for your dolls? If so, what countries/cultures?
Mulan has the dress she wears in the movie... Otherwise, not really? I don't go out of my way to buy stuff that reflects the countries they come from, though I do have plans to pick up or make some of my own. I try to get clothing - on the rare times I look for clothing - that fit the character.

5. Essay question: Imagine that you've been given complete creative control over one of the major doll companies (Mattel, Takara, Volks, Integrity, Tonner, Madame Alexander, any other company of your choice)... but you are only allowed to create *one* new line of dolls. What would your line be like?
Pfft... It would be inspirational women of history. So... historically accurate and reaching all over the world. Ching Shih would definitely be top of the list to be made,  Actually, a lot of characters on Rejected Princesses would probably be on my list. I'd want this to be a play line, though, so that there's greater scope for people to get hold of the one they like so I guess it would be Mattel. I would fight so hard for no glue-head though, it's becoming a real problem with their dolls. Hasbro would be a good choice if they used the Descendants articulation style for them. They'd be on the slightly more expensive side for playline (around £30-£35/$40-$45) but that would be for more accurate clothing. 1/6 scale though, for easier play. And they'd come with a decent stand so that collectors can get. AND NO PLASTIC HEAD TIES. Sorry, those just really annoy me.

But yeah, Inspirational Women of History, featuring Ching Shih. My fantasy doll line.

Comments