The FriDoll Five: Does Size Matter?

1. Do you have a favorite doll size or body type? (e.g. American Girl, SD, SD13, MSD, Barbie, Blythe, Pullip, Licca) What do you like about it?Hm, this is a good question. I don't really have a favourite type so much? I kind of prefer the 1/6 scale as it tends to be easier to store and move, but at the same time I really like 1/4 scale as there's just something about it that feels rather... right? I can't really explain it properly, and I wish I could. Articulation tends to be the thing that gets to be more than anything so I guess I would say I like a body type that is well articulated.

2. Do you prefer your dolls to be roughly the same size and body shape, or do you prefer different heights, shapes, etc? Why or why not?
I prefer different, to be honest. While everything being the same does make it easier for trying to make things for custom dolls and the like, the difference makes for a more visually interesting collection. Having the same size/shape on display all the time can be a bit boring after a little bit of time. Actually, that reminds me, I need to switch up my display a bit.

3. For those with male and female dolls: Do you prefer your guys to be taller than your ladies, or does it not matter?
-For those with male dolls only: Do you like your dolls to be the same height, or would you like to give them variety (e.g. Volks FCS long-leg parts, etc.)
-For those with female dolls only: Do you have a lot of variety in your doll's body types, or do you find that you tend to gravitate towards one particular type?
I don't really have a preference either way? If the male and female dolls are representing particular pre-established characters from a show or movie I like, I like it if the heights of the dolls are somewhat representative of the heights of the characters? So if the guy is taller, I would want the male doll to be taller. Otherwise... I'm not that fussed? Again, I like the variety in my collection, even if I do have a preference for the 1/6 scale.

4. Do you find it easier to shop for/sew for any particular doll more than others?
I sew more than I shop but honestly if I am going to shop, it is probably easier for my 1/6 ladies. There's been so many different types of dolls out there that it's pretty easy to pick up something cheap that will fit. For sewing... I'll get back to you when I've actually done something other than Macintosh's kilt.

5. Is there such a thing as a doll that's *too* big or *too* small?
I... honestly don't know? I think that would depend on the individual, and what they feel they can deal with? Personally I don't think I'd go smaller - doll wise - than my 11cm obitsu, but I know I do have a couple of figures that are smaller. Basically, if it's got fabric clothing, I have my own limits but they might not be the same as another collector's.

Comments