The FriDoll Five: Do Clothes Make the Man?

if you've seen Kingsman: the Secret Service, you know fine well Manners Maketh Man. Never question this around Harry.

1. Do your dolls have any defined style of fashion that they look good in, or that you like to dress them in? (You can discuss your dolls in general, or name specific dolls that have a "look".)
I have certain dolls that are assigned to a certain era. That's mostly as a challenge to myself. I don't really redress though? I mean, now that I'm working on sewing outfits, I will be redressing, but otherwise... not so much? Hm. I might make a post about this at another time if I can think of a more coherent answer

2. Do you buy or make outfits so that they can be shared amongst your dolls, or do you buy/sew with one particular doll in mind?
I sew for with a doll in mind. Since most of my dolls are characters from other media, they do all have set personalities already, and not many of them kind of compliment each other in clothing style? Not that they couldn't if I really tried, but it's just kind of... I wouldn't put Merida in anything I'd made for Amber. Merida is set for her own time and - when I do think of in her modern terms - her style is very different to Amber.

3. Do you tend to redress your dolls frequently, or do you have a favorite outfit that they tend to default to?
... Neither and both? Again: I make try to explain this later on.

4. When not actively playing with your dolls, do you leave them dressed up? Leave them nude? Put them in something simple that won't stain their bodies (e.g. white underwear)?
All my dolls remain clothed. It just seems... odd to have them left without something to wear. And I tend not to be so fussed about staining: it is going to happen whether I like it or not. The plastics used to make dolls do not react well with certain dyes and fabrics and thus... staining!

5. Imagine you've been given creative control of a line of dolly couture. (In other words: You come up with the ideas, and you don't necessarily have to do all the fiddly design and sewing.) What sort of fashions would your store have? Casual? Formal? Goth? Ren Faire? Costumes? 
Punk and Goth. Maybe some historical influence as well. Girls would have trousers as well as dresses. And they'd be day dresses, not gowns. Basically just an alternative range that spanned a few different counter cultures, really. And yes, there would be a LOT of cosplay.

Comments