The FriDoll Five: What's in a Name?

1. Those of you with ball-joint dolls... do you have a preferred term for this type of doll? e.g. Super Dollfie, BJD, resin ball-joint doll, asian ball-joint doll, 40 cm/60 cm doll, giant-size doll thing, etc
Those of you with 1/6 scale dolls: do you have a term you prefer or tend to use, such as "action doll", "poseable doll", "fashion doll", "dollies", "dollfies", "Barbies", etc?
I call them all "dolls". Because that's what they are. I do sometimes point out the differences, or say things like "my obitsu", "my tinies" or something like that, but that's more... trying to just narrow down which particular doll I'm talking about. Doll fits for them all.

2. Do you have profiles and personalities for your dolls? If so, do they include age, astrological sign, etc?
I do... sort of. They are really not as detailed as including an astrological sign, but they would have name, age, interests, romantic interests, family connections, friends... Details I just find useful. They're all saved in the one file, and the way it's written makes sense to me and... yeah, just me. I might share some of the tidbits one day.

3. Have you ever re-named a doll? (This includes changing its name from the default one, or changing a doll's name after you named it already.) If so, what were some reasons you had for changing the name?
I have. Mostly because the default doll was the perfect look for the sister of a custom doll. Okay, no wait, I should explain. The custom was already a character I had created, and just decided - on a lark - to make into a doll. I then decided that, hey, it would be cool for him to have his sister around and... well she just sort of appeared on the shelf one day when I was looking for something that could maybe work. I really need to change her from her stock outfit, though, it's not really the sister's style at all.

4. What term do you use when talking about or thinking of your dolls? Do you call them or think of them as:
* your dolls
* your daughter/son/children
* your kids
* visitors from another dimension
* or something else entirely? 
My dolls. Occasionally my honoured guests in the whole Life in the Room verse, but that's more of a weird joke type thing because of the attitude and personality of one character. They're my dolls, I'm not going to refer to them as something else. Okay, yeah, I may call a couple "my girls" or "my boys" but that's more ... endearment than actually considering them my kids. I don't really get the dolly parent thing.

5. For those of you who make doll photo stories: Do you ever appear in them (off-screen or on-screen)? If so, what do your dolls call you?
For those who don't make doll photo stories: What do you think of yourself as? Your doll's owner? Mom? Auntie/Uncle? Roommate?
I'm an off-screen presence, who they will talk to on screen. Meaning you may hear me, but you will never see me. Well, you might see my hand or something. I'm generally accepted as the person who's room they stay in. A lot of my dolls are characters from different media that I like, and they're vaguely aware that they are dolls or figures or whatever. So yeah, there's never anything like having to call me as a relation.. I did - as a lark - have the littlest ones call me "Miss [my initial]" and if they do "talk" to me in any story, I am just referred to as [my initial]. It's just easier.

Comments