The FriDoll Friday: Imitation and Flattery

1. What are your thoughts on "clones" and "knock-offs" of popular toys? (E.g. discount stores' imitation Bratz dolls, actual dolls that make molds using pre-existing dolls)
Hm, I think that... Well, this is something that's existed since it's been possible to do it, and I don't think anything I say or do is going to stop the thing from happening. That being said... I am anti-recast, as they call it in the BJD community, especially of the kind of passing a fake item off as the legit. While I know from figure collecting that it's possible to accidentally pick up bootlegs of figures, to knowingly go and buy a bootleg of something that was the product of someone's art... Just something seems wrong about it. My thoughts aren't the most coherent. Knock offs of popular, mainstream toys? Pretty normal. Once you start to get into the higher price brackets that are doing it for the art... I have problems.

2. What do you think about e-bay auctions that use terms like "friend of" or "just like" as a euphemism for knock-offs? (Okay, technically speaking that's generally to get around legal issues related to knowingly selling knock-offs.)
No real thoughts. I've been one of those people who accidentally bought bootlegs off of eBay under the belief it was the real thing. I've managed to educate myself since, and at least the ones I got were actually quite cute so... I think it's probably going to be more annoying for someone who isn't able to tell the signs.

3. Is it okay to customize a doll to look like a copy-righted character, or real-life person? Have you ever done so?
I have a custom Wednesday Addams doll. I am making a Yankumi, and an Alice Hamilton. I don't actually see a problem in this as long as you make it clear that it's just that: an interpretation of a character you are fond of. Plus, well, the clue of 'custom' kind of shows that it's your own work that's gone into this. Just don't mislead people, and we'll be good.

4. Is it okay to customize a doll to look similar to a brand-name doll? Have you ever done so? (E.g., making your own big-headed doll, making your version of a collectible doll, re-rooting an old doll to look like a pristine vintage doll) 
Again: go for your life, just don't mislead people. Make sure people know what is custom work, and what is real. Beyond anything else, it's just nicer to be clear on those things, Plus, then you get credit for the work you put in, and that's cool.

5. Is it okay to customize or commission an outfit or wig to look like a limited edition doll outfit?
... Yeah? Just, again, don't pretend it's the real thing. Also: if you have the skills to make some of those tricky outfits, I salute you.

Comments