[Meme] Get to Know the Reader

Physical Book or E-book: I do actually own a Kindle as well as having physical books and I honestly have to say... it honestly depends on how I'm feeling on a particular day. I love the feel of actual, physical books, but I love the convenience that my Kindle provides. So, yes, it honestly depends on the day and how I feel. My Kindle can be a bit better on days I seem to have an attention-span lack.

Audio Book or In Hand: In hand, majority of the time, mostly because I don't really have a lot of audio books. I do love the Good Omens radio drama that was made though, that's awesome. And I have the Douglas Hodge version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Paperback or Hardcover: Both actually. If it's a series, it really depends what I started that series with; started with a paperback? Well, I'm going to want the rest in paperback form to match. I like my series to match.

Adult or Young Adult: Again, this would be a both one though I think I would need to admit more of a leaning towards YA lately. The plots seem to be engaging, for me personally, than some that have been coming out in adult novels lately.

Series or Standalone: Oh, this one is difficult. Again it's another both, but at the same time one more than the other? Like I love my various series, don't get me wrong, but at the same time, I am getting a little bit to the point where I've realised I've inadvertently got into another series and sort of ended up head-desking. We need a few more standalone novels than what are going around right now.

Dog-Ears or Bookmarks: Bookmarks! I can never have enough bookmarks. I actually need to get some more if I'm honest; I just can never seem to find any I like enough... Maybe if I look for fandom-y based ones for certain books...

Breaking the Spine or Barely Opening the Book: Both seem a bit horrible to me. A broken spine can ruin the look of a book (or make it fall apart in a hardback's case) but barely opening the book... how are you meant to get involved in the story?

Borrow or Buy: Lately it's been buy more than borrow because my local library shut and the nearest library to it is on the third floor of a shopping center and I'm not even joking when I say the third floor is completely deserted and you can't help but feel a bit unsafe walking up to the library. So... yeah. Least in a bookstore I can sit somewhere nice, bright, near a CCTV and have a read of the book I want to buy.

Bookstore or Online: I love book stores to pieces, and it is to my constant regret that the nearest ones to me at about 15 or 20 miles away. Unless you count the local supermarkets and charity shops, but their stock can really range from day to day, basically. Asda seems to get some good YA stuff in lately, but at the same time, they had a huge in your face display for 50 Shades of Grey :/ So, basically, if I want good books? I have to shop online. The Book Depository is one of my favourite sites to use.

Fiction or Non-Fiction: Both. The majority of my reading is mainly fiction, but I do also enjoy reading non-fiction when researching a particular period of history. Problem is, for non-fiction, it can be hard to find an author who writes in a style that feels right for you. Children get it easier - in the UK at least - they've got Horrible Histories and other comedic factual books aimed at them.

Fantasy World or Real Life Issues: How about a fantasy world that also deals with real life issues? Since, y'know, good fantasy is meant to being holding a mirror up to our world... I do read a lot of fantasy though, I'm not even going to lie about that.

Kindle, iPad or Other: Kindle Fire HD.

Monster Read or Short and Sweet: Well, I do a yearly (or so) re-read of the Brick, which falls under monster read easily so I guess compared to that, anything seems short and sweet. I suppose a more accurate answer would be it depends on the size of the book I am currently reading, and if I am enjoying reading it.

Starry Eyed Romance or Full of Action: Generally, I prefer action, but starry eyed romance has it's place. I just... prefer the type of starry-eyed romance that includes the people in the romance being aware of the others faults and strengths and not just seeing this ... idealised version of them. That's never good.

Read the Review or Decide Yourself: Hm... When there's a book I'm considering and I don't personally know anyone who has read it, I will tend to look up reviews. Goodreads tends to be quite helpful because I find that people are willing to be bit more critical there. Tumblr - sorry to say - is not so helpful for reviews, usually because of an over-emphasis on shipping. Shippers can be vicious if ther ship does not sail.

Zombies or Unicorns: Zombicorns, dude!

Comments