[Meme] All About Those Books

1. What is your favourite book and/or book series of all time? This is actually a really hard question to answer because so many come to mind at once. Uh. I guess if I had to pick just one, I'd go with Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. No matter how many times I read that, I always find something new to laugh at, something new to amaze me, and just always have the same level of enjoyment in reading the story.

 2. What is the longest book you have ever read? How many pages? The longest book I've read would probably be either Les Misérables or one of the Song of Ice and Fire series. My gut is to say it's Les Mis, but the ASoIaF series probably beats it by this point.

 3. What is the oldest book you have ever read? (Based on its written date) I read the Canterbury Tales, and yeah. It's just that it's been years since I read that and cannot remember much of it. Beyond that, I guess anything by Shakespeare would count here. And the works of Aristotle and Plato.




 4. What is a book series that everyone else loves but you do not? I'm not a big fan of the Infernal Devices series. Leaving aside all arguments regarding the author, it's just a story that I've not been able to get into all that well. Ironic, as the TV show is quite enjoyable but sometimes that happens.

5. What book or book series would you like to see turned into a film/TV series? I still really want The Watch series to happen, based on the Ankh-Morpork City Watch, and I've no idea how far along in the production process that is. Good Omens is getting a mini-series for 2018 and American Gods had it's first episode a few days ago as of this writing. I'm going to go with the Artemis Fowl series. Child criminal mastermind who takes on the fairies in his first adventure. Always good stuff

6. What is your favourite stand-alone book? Well, I said Good Omens didn't I? So, yeah. Others would be: Matilda by Roald Dahl, Peter Pan by JM Barrie, Carry On by Rainbow Rowell, Coraline by Neil Gaiman, Beauty Queens by Libba Bray, Battle Royale, The Book Thief... I'd be here for a while if I try to list them all. I do miss stand-alone books though, it seems like every other book is a series now.

7. What is a book that you feel glad for not reading? It's the Twilight series and the 50 Shades of Grey series. I just cannot with those books, all for varying different reasons. There's others up there but those are the ones that come to mind right away for this question.

8. What is a book that you feel guilty for not reading? A book I feel guilty for not reading? Probably one of those ones that appears on every list of 'must read' classic lit lists. I do try to expand my reading a lot, but sometimes it's just sort of hard. If I had to go off the top of my head... Too many titles come to mind that I've started to read and just never finished so... yeah.

9. What is a book you have read that is set in your country of birth? Well, technically speaking all the Harry Potter books take place in Scotland because Hogwarts is confirmed to be near Dufftown so I'll go with them.

10. What is a book that you own more than one copy of? Oh there's a few. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is one that comes to mind first if only because I can see one of my copies of that from where I'm sitting most easily. I really need to tidy my bookshelves. I also have a couple of copies of Les Misérables because my brother bought me a gorgeous hardcover, and I have a paperback for travelling with, as well as an e-book edition for my Kindle. Paperback edition is the version I go to the most since it's the most widely read translation of it, though.

11. What horror book made you really scared? Honestly, I can't think of one? Don't get me wrong, there is likely more than one on this list, but I genuinely cannot bring any titles to mind. I guess I was freaked a bit by Dracula when I first read it, but... No wait, was it Dracula or The Vampyre? Cannot recall. It doesn't happen much now, I appreciate a good spine-tingle though.

12. What book do you passionately hate? The Great Gatsby, purely due to memories associated with it. Well, that and I really soddin' dislike that story.

13. What is the biggest book series you have read? How many books are in it? The Discworld series. I think there's about 41 books in the main series, plus a ton of short stories, spin-off books and in-universe books that exist here. GNU Terry Pratchett.

14. What book gives you happy memories? Oh, um, my mind genuinely just blanked there. We'll go with Wicked by Gregory Maguire if only because I first read that one around the same time as a bunch of my friends, and it was fun talking about the book with them.

15. What book made you cry? The Book Thief.

16. What book made you laugh? Discworld series. Always. Don't get me wrong, there are a ton of others, but if we're talking most consistently laughing? It's always one of the Discworld books.

17. What is your favourite book that contains an LGBTQ+ character? I really like Pantomime by Laura Lam. Also Ash and Huntress by Malinda Lo. Monstrous Regiment is a book that just everyone needs to read and Rick Ridordan's mythology based works are great for their scope of characters. Beauty Queens, too, is this fantastic satire on the whole reality tv culture, and basically anything of Oscar Wilde's. Dude was fantastic with words.

18. Have you read a book with a male protagonist? What is it? Far too many. To start with, nearly every single book I was made to read while in the mandatory education system were male-led. It's harder to find ones that aren't a male protagonist. Not that they're bad, it's just they're abundant.

19. Have you read a book set on another planet? What is it? DISCWORLD. Flat Earth sitting atop four elephants, who ride the great turtle A'tuin. Go, read some of this series. You will not regret it.

20. Have you ever been glad to not finish a series? Which? There's been a few. Infernal Devices was one of them, even though a lot of people seem to enjoy it. Um, my mind is genuinely going blank here when I try to think on series. Hilarious.

21. Have you ever read a book series because you were pressured? Kind of The Hunger Games. I have been left with the opinion of: interested in the world, could not care less about the leads.

22. What famous author have you not read any books by? Probably the Bronte Sisters. I have tried, it's just... yeah. There's loads of others, but they come to mind the fastest.

23. Who is your favourite author of all time? Terry Pratchett. There isn't even a question of that. The man was a genius who wrote some of my all-time favourite stories, created characters I will never not love, and just gave so much in his writing. GNU Terry Pratchett.

24. How many bookshelves do you own? There are six in my room at the current moment, and at least three of them need re-organised. Not a think I look forward to doing.

25. How many books do you own? At a rough guess? Maybe around the five hundred mark? I did have a clear out not too long ago, simply because I was running out of room. I kind of need to do the same again soon. It's a thing.

26. What is your favourite non-fiction book? Hard question. I always really liked the Horrible Histories books. History told via black humour and more than a bit of sarcasm. Always good. I also really like Art Of books, because I like to go into the concept stuff for movies and shows.

27. What is your favourite children’s/middle-grade book? Oh that's a hard one to answer because there's a few. Um... let's say Matilda by Roald Dahl and The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy. Those two have stuck with me a long time. More recently Goth Girl by Chris Ridell. Those are fun.

28. What is your next book on your TBR? Quite a few things, actually. The Bone Witch is probably going to be the next new book I start, and I'm thinking of re-reading The Handmaid's Tale because it had been years. My TBR pile is quite big.

29. What book are you currently reading? I just finished a re-read of the Corpse Talk comics, does that count? I'm going to make it count. Corpse Talk is fun.

30. What book are you planning on buying next? I've got quite a couple on pre-order: the next Amy Mebberson Disney Princess Comics Collection, the next Mangus Chase... Brand new, I'm not sure as yet. I like the sound of The Gentlemen's Guide to Vice and Virtue.

31. What was the cheapest book you bought? There's quite a good few on this list but the one that always sticks in mind is The Book Thief because it was the new cover at the time that had literally just come out a couple of days before and I got it at a charity shop for 10p. Oh gods, that book, man.

32. What was the most expensive book you bought? Possibly Anything Can Happen if You Let it which is the book connected with the stage musical version of Mary Poppins. I'm not counting textbooks here because we all know they're ridiculously over-priced. I know for a fact I spent more on one philosophy book that I used once than I would have liked to do.

33. What is a book you read after seeing the movie/TV series? The Percy Jackson and the Olympians books. I saw the movie, heard it was based on a book series, and decided to check it out to see how it differed. There's others, but that one comes to mind first.

34. What is the newest book you have bought? That I personally bought? Caraval. I need to actually get round to reading it...

35. What three books are you most looking forward to reading this year? The End of Oz by Danielle Paige. It's out but I don't have it yet so that counts. The Gentlemen's Guide to Vice and Virtue and... eh, let's go with Goth Girl and the Sinister Symphony.

36. What is a book you love that has a terrible trope? (Love triangle, etc) There's a lot of them, I think it'd take too long to list. Seems like there was a point when every other book you picked up had some form of love triangle for a bit though. I am particular unfond of the miscommunication trope, because a lot of that boils down to people just not asking stuff they should ask.

37. Have you read a book in a different language? What was it? I read the Asterix comics in French while I was in school and learning the language. They're pretty funny whatever language they're in though, so good going translation team. I also read manga, so that's a thing too. Though again, read the translations which probably doesn't count.

38. What is a book you’ve read that is set in a time period before you were born? Quite a lot? Anything by Jane Austen for a start. It would be easier to just list authors than to try to name every individual book, and even then the list of authors would go on for a while. It can be like that.

39. What book offended you? 50 Shades of Grey. I just... have no idea why that got popular, how it got published... So many questions about that book series.

40. What is the weirdest book you have read? The Blart books were pretty weird...

41. What is your favourite duology? Probably Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Alice Through the Looking Glass by merit of being the only duology I can genuinely recall at the current moment.

42. What is your favourite trilogy? Not my favourite but I do enjoy The Lord of the Rings. Even if it can be a bit of a slog to get through at times.

43. What book did you buy because of its cover? Eyes Like Stars. Story is great, cover is this beautiful art piece. All the covers in that series at beautiful, actually. I have bought new copies of books I have because of the cover.

44. What is a book that you love, but has a terrible cover? Oh, I can't even think right now. My copy of Horns has a cover related to the movie that came out. I mean, that's not terrible, but I generally prefer not having tie-in covers. Going Postal for the same reason of being a tie-in cover.

45. Do you own a poetry anthology? What is your favourite poem from it? I have a couple... Um. Probably Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer from Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats. Yes, that was what the Cats musical was based off. I read the poems as a little kid, before I heard the music though.

46. Do you own any colouring books based off other books? An Alice one, a Harry Potter one. Marvel Comics... I'm looking at the Discworld one.

47. Do you own any historical fiction? Oh yeah. Can't recall the titles off-hand but I know I've got some.

48. What book made you angry? The existence of 50 Shades made me very angry...

49. What book has inspired you? There's a lot but I'll just point to the Discworld series. I swear, those books made me smarter, gave me a better sense of humour... Just all the goodness. GNU Terry Pratchett.

50. What book got you into reading? Peter Pan by JM Barrie. I was about 4, at my grandparents' house, and I was sitting looking at this pile of children's classics my parents had bought to encourage me to read. My Granddad looks at the pile, picks out Peter Pan and tells me I'll like it. He was right.

Comments