End of Year Fandom Meme

1. Your main fandom of the year? Hm. I want to say it was probably The Worst Witch, since I did get super excited for the new revival series. In all honesty, it was probably between MCU, DCEU and Star Wars, but I feel like I did more for Worst Witch than the others. The second series starts 8th Jan, actually, that'll be fun.

2. Your favorite film watched this year? Of the new films that came out this year, it was definitely Wonder Woman. A close second would be between Thor Ragnarok and Star Wars: The Last Jedi. In terms of movies that have been out for a while? I rewatched Kazmikaze Girls quite recently and I still have a lot of love for that movie. Maybe also Legally Blonde. I haven't really watched much in terms of classic stuff, because I am boring. 

3. Your favorite book read this year? Okay, according to my Goodreads 2017 Reading Challenge, I managed to read 56 books this year. My goal for the year was 55, so this is pretty good. I think my favourite stuff was probably the Goth Girl books by Chris Riddell. They're basically popular culture satire set in a patsiche of the Regency era, but I really enjoy the tone and the art for them. As always, Good Omens remains one of my favourites. Forever. So looking forward to this miniseries that is coming out. 

4. Your favorite TV show of the year? Probably still Doctor Who. Though as mentioned above, I really did enjoy the new series of The Worst Witch and I've been loving some of the stuff on Netflix as well. I'm just kind of a boring person, to be honest. Doctor Who, even when I know the plot is crap, tends to make me happy, so I'm happy enough to stick with it as my favourite show of the year. With that said'; I did rewatch a lot of the classic The Addams Family show as well, so there's that too.

5. Your favorite online fandom community of the year? The Worst Witch wins here. You'd think, considering so many adults have fond memories of the '90s television adaptation, that there would have been a lot of deriding of the new series and a lot of petty squabbles, but nope. As always, the love of Hardbroom wins through and the general low-key nature of the story won a lot of people over. Even if there did have to be reminders that the story is at least 23 years older than Harry Potter. No inner fandom squabbling, just a lot of fun. It was nice 

6. Your best new fandom discovery of the year? Bat Out of Hell the Musical. The Bat Clan are a very welcoming group. They would have won my favourite of the year if TWW hadn't been so awesome. Oh! Also? Emerald City

7. Your biggest fandom disappointment of the year? Emerald City being cancelled. I really liked that show, and it's take on the Oz story. I'm surprised it didn't actually have a bigger following online than it got; it had a lot of the things people are asking for in a show, and yet... Somehow I'm not totally surprised, but it was still a bit of a shame. I'm still pissed about Galavant being cancelled though, so there's that for you. Also, in general terms? How quickly the Riverdale fandom started in-fighting. Not cool, guys. 

8. Your TV boyfriend of the year? I ... don't actually think I have one? Like, there was no one male character that stood out to me above others. I'm genuinely sitting here trying to think and my mind is coming up completely blank. It's not to say that there wasn't a ton of characters I really loved throughout this year, just none that come to mind to fit 'tv boyfriend' status. 

9. Your TV girlfriend of the year? Probably Miss Hardbroom, like so many others. She's just really awesome, alright? Oh! And Rose from Brooklyn Nine Nine 

10. Your biggest squee moment of the year? Multi-Master story followed by a multi-Doctor story. Yeah, I know that the Christmas special had a ton of plotholes, but it still managed to make me grin at the screen more than once, so it counts as a win. 

11. The most missed of your old fandoms? Mostly as a result of how popular Bat got, but I really miss We Will Rock You. There was a rumour earlier in the year about it maybe coming back to the West End. I kind of hope that it might be possible, but considering some of the costumes have appeared on eBay, I'm not really holding out hope. 

12. The fandom you haven’t tried yet, but want to? There's probably a fair few, but I think I'm a bit burnt out on fandom, to be completely honest with you. It just seems a bit more toxic these days than it has done in a long while, and while I still really like looking at all the cool gif-sets, and reading meta and stuff like that... actual participation from me is probably going to be low on the ground. 

13. Your biggest fan anticipations for the New Year? New series of TWW, the Black Panther movie, and the Thirteenth Doctor's first series in the Tardis!

Comments