Review: Kamikaze Girls

Kamikaze Girls Kamikaze Girls by Novala Takemoto
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Kamikaze Girls is one of my favourite movies, and I was really pleased to find out that the original novel of it was available in English. I do know about the manga, but I had heard mixed reviews on that, and I really wanted to read the novel if I could. The novel is by author Novala Takemoto who is apparently well known for being into the Lolita subculture in Japan. From what I can tell, this is the only one of his novels available in English. I also discovered - through Google - that there is apparently a sequel to Kamikaze Girls but I haven't found out any details about it.

What did I think of the novel? I think it makes a great movie. Okay, so that's not very fair. I did really enjoy my experience reading this. Momoko's refreshingly blunt way of stating everything around her, and then going into quite lyrical language when describing Rocco, or Lolita, or the process of embroidery; well, it makes for a very interesting contrast. She's so detached from the wider world by her own choice, that to see that she does have passions and interests saves her from becoming one of those characters who is too blunt to really like. The growing friendship with Ichigo, someone who is the complete opposite of this rather closed off person, is really touching to read about and... Yeah, okay, I kind of don't want to find out anything about the sequel because I'd rather stay in a world where these two stay in each others lives and nothing complicates that.

Ichigo is actually my favourite of the two girls. I really love this tough as nails Yanki biker girl who has this very soft side and extreme loyalty to her friends. Her sense of morals, or maybe code of conduct would work better, provides another good contrast to Momoko, who would happily sell her own family if it meant she would be able to afford more from Baby, The Stars Shine Bright. (I was quite pleased to learn this is a real brand, and have to admit some of their stuff is very nice. Not particularly my taste, but nice all the same.) While she initally seems to just force her friendship on Momoko, I can see it from her point of view: she sees this isolated girl, who seems to respond well when she talks to her. Maybe she's just quite shy and needs help making friends. Okay, I'll be her friend. There is a logic to Ichigo's thoughts, even if she does seem to jump around them a lot.

It's a coming of age story that's decked out in flouncy frills and kamikaze jackets. I enjoyed the focus being on the shared friendship of the girls, and how that goes from barely knowing to willing to rescue the other. You don't at any point feel like this is an act by either of the two, which is refreshing and there's no real love story involved. Implied feelings that are ignored for the sake of friendship, but there's no guy getting in the way as there might be in others stories. It moves along at its own pace, and does its own thing, and I respect that.

So yes, I did enjoy this book. I just... enjoy the movie more. It's one of those stories that suits a visual style a lot more, in my opinion. That being said? I'd likely recommend this to other people, and I will probably end up re-reading it at some point. It's a fun read, and a nice way to just relax. Perhaps I'll do it decked out in frills.

... Nah, I wouldn't suit that flouncy stuff. Best leave it to Momoko.

View all my reviews

Comments